My 2001 Pathy Build

New guy here, first post on this forum but not new to Pathfinders or modding vehicles. I’ve owned 4 pathfinders in the last ten years and loved ‘em all! 

This most recent project started while searching for a “Gambler 500” vehicle on CL. There are loose guidelines that a person should buy a vehicle for $500 or less and drive it 500 miles off-road in central Oregon during the 2 day weekend event.

Sounds simple enough and while my buddies decided to buy civics, neons and 2wd s10 trucks, I decided I wanted to be the guy with 4wd in the group.

I found this baby on CL with the description that it had been “involved in a slow speed rollover” and was asking $400. I had no idea what to expect when I drove the 30 mins to neighboring town to check it out. 

EEvZimd.jpg

This is is what I found! 

After a little wheelin’ and dealin’ we agreed upon $250 cash out the door. After I got home I snapped a few more pics.

W69SZOt.jpg

PTJn8oO.jpg

A1tEE56.jpg

gKMG59i.jpg

784acls.jpg

zIkarPI.jpg

Might look like significant damage but the engine ran so smooth and tires only 1 year old I could not pass it up! 

My buddy owns an auto glass shop and got me a windshield for $60 and I pulled a side cargo window for $15 from the local JY so in about 3 days after acquiring it I had both broken windows replaced.

GryyztU.jpg

1oGlGDX.jpg

3CODhbl.jpg

CGZtg3k.jpg

jXcVc9L.jpg

ILX1E9f.jpg

k0MIemL.jpgbU2F0FD.jpg

dRaeZzO.jpg

With just over 200k miles I figure there’s plenty of weekend/dirt road miles left in it as it won’t be my daily driver. 

At this point I’m considering not rallying this in the Gambler 500, I might just keep and clean it up and build a reliable off road rig. 

• Like 3

I guess the guy had a big roof basket on top which took the brunt of the upside down force pretty much saving the whole roof. There is a decent crease that broke the windshield and bent the sunroof frame. Nothing a tube of urethane couldn’t fix though! Took through the car wash and is watertight now. 

Well first up on the list of maintenance is new KYB GR-2 struts with OME MD springs up front and LR 9447 springs rear with Rancho RS55112 shocks. 

l5qqdsX.jpg

PXKLIAv.jpg

Hmmm what’s wrong with this picture? 

Amazon sent me two passenger side struts when it was supposed to be a set and they sent Excell-G strut instead of the Gr-2 that I ordered. 

I purchased a driver side locally and proceeded with my install, next obstacle was the rust-welded sway bar links. Had to cut them off with a grinder and replaced with Moog greasable links. 

While I had the front end apart I installed MileMarker 435 hubs 

exVEpnj.jpg

VttK87i.jpg

Installed adjustable cam bolts while I had it apart, good thing because it needed it after the lift springs. 

TmYCu18.jpg

qxc6H6l.jpg

toSsaN5.jpg

Rear spring install went smoothly the only issue was that the new ProComp shocks I wanted to use which I had left over from another project had the wrong size bushings for the Pathy bolts so after searching high and low for the correct inside diameter and still fit the ProComp tapered bushing housing I decided just to pick up a set of Ranchos. 

yyuU3IJ.jpg

This is how it currently sits while waiting for the Ranchos to get here.

Edited by RideFaster
Same word twice
  • Like 1

I agree with everyone else, with the new glass in it's really not bad! A couple body panels from the junkyard and it would honestly look pretty excellent. Really jealous of how clean your strut towers are too! Looks like you've got a good setup going for it.

Thanks! Yeah I think I will just be on the lookout for some color match fenders and doors and replace little things along the way. 

I estimate this vehicle is worth $1,500 ish around my area so if I can keep it at around $1000 budget and steadily work on it I would be satisfied.

This is going to be a weekend/camping vehicle so I have the time to do little mods and improvements.

Best part is it still has clean Title so if or when I ever sell it, it won’t be wreck or salvage title.

1 hour ago, RideFaster said:

Ranchos installed! 

Will take for test drive and post pics of new ride height today. 

I have those ranchos. They are okay. They feel much better on my frontier. I highly recommend extending your rear brake hose.

Do you think they ride better because of the heavier truck or longer wheelbase? 

I agree longer brake lines are necessary. They are ordered but no idea when they arrive! 

Do you think they ride better because of the heavier truck or longer wheelbase? 
I agree longer brake lines are necessary. They are ordered but no idea when they arrive! 

The frontier is much lighter in the rear. It could be because of the shocks are specific to that vehicle whereas these are for a durango if I recall correctly.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Well this isn’t exactly what I had in mind as far as stance...

keep in mind no rear bumper, spare tire or tire carrier installed yet...

UD4kI4X.jpguoJrKcF.jpg

dwQb4G3.jpg

quLPn2P.jpg

RLMo3DN.jpg

5cEmUT6.jpg

BECAUSE RACE TRUCK!

“Face down, booty up”

In all seriousness though, how the hell did you get so much lift in the back with 9447s? Those are the same springs I’ve got on mine, and it’s pretty level with the front. Maybe the OME HDs dont lift much after all? I’ve got AC coils up front, which offer 2” inches, so the OMEs must be pretty close to stock height to cause that much rake with 9447s in the back

That's an impressive lift. I've got 9447s in the back and Australian made EFS 40mm (1.75"?) raised coils in the front, and I don't believe mine sits as high. Similar stance though. Looks like AC coils are the only ones to provide a 'true' 2" lift up front...

23 minutes ago, PathyGig12 said:

“Face down, booty up”

In all seriousness though, how the hell did you get so much lift in the back with 9447s? Those are the same springs I’ve got on mine, and it’s pretty level with the front. Maybe the OME HDs dont lift much after all? I’ve got AC coils up front, which offer 2” inches, so the OMEs must be pretty close to stock height to cause that much rake with 9447s in the back

15 minutes ago, jtchal said:

That's an impressive lift. I've got 9447s in the back and Australian made EFS 40mm (1.75"?) raised coils in the front, and I don't believe mine sits as high. Similar stance though. Looks like AC coils are the only ones to provide a 'true' 2" lift up front...

He’s got MD’s not HD’s. Read post #7

On 3/5/2020 at 3:48 PM, RideFaster said:

Well first up on the list of maintenance is new KYB GR-2 struts with OME MD springs up front and LR 9447

36 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

He’s got MD’s not HD’s. Read post #7

Ok, fair enough. But I can’t see how that makes a difference? I was under the impression that the only difference between the HDs and MDs was spring rate....

Obviously the HDs might naturally sit a bit higher without much weight in the front, making the MDs the “shorter” of the two, but it would be pretty minimal difference.

Mainly it has me wondering what’s being sold as a 9447 spring.....

I know there were tons of options when I ordered mine, Is it possible the different manufacturers are selling slightly different lengths?

Edited by PathyGig12

2 hours ago, PathyGig12 said:

Ok, fair enough. But I can’t see how that makes a difference? I was under the impression that the only difference between the HDs and MDs was spring rate....

Obviously the HDs might naturally sit a bit higher without much weight in the front, making the MDs the “shorter” of the two, but it would be pretty minimal difference.

Mainly it has me wondering what’s being sold as a 9447 spring.....

I know there were tons of options when I ordered mine, Is it possible the different manufacturers are selling slightly different lengths

It looks pretty normal, I don’t doubt that he has legitimate Land Rover springs, whatever part number he got. There’s no front lift that will level Land Rover springs, let alone MD’s without a spacer. The HD’s are a definite step up in weight rating and will lift a higher height, about 1.25-1.5” according to rugged rocks. Even on AC’s and 9449’s I have about 1-1.25” of rake. See post #167 for a picture of freshly installed HD’s with Land Rover springs:

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RideFaster said:

I don’t know why the discrepancy but I put the rear bumper back on and looks way less raked.

Cool cool, I guess you just gotta load that sucker down with gear then!

honestly that might be the difference right there. I don’t think I’ve ever had mine completely empty since I put the coils on,  so maybe they just sag a little and look more level.

I know there were tons of options when I ordered mine, Is it possible the different manufacturers are selling slightly different lengths?

Not different lengths. But inconsistent spring rates, yes.

Sent from my Pathfinder