Rear Trailing and Control Arm Bushings

The bushings are worn out on the rear suspension of my Pathfinder. I have found a kit that has all new arm with bushings for around $125. This seems quicker and easier but am wondering if it's not too difficult if the poly-urethane bushings are worth the time to install? 

My personal experience is that even with a press, it is a major PITA to get the old bushings out. Also, for me, poly bushings are frustrating. My front upper control arms had poly bushings. I was lucky to get 10k miles out of a set and that was with frequent cleaning and lubing. When the 4th or 5th set wore out, went back to stock rubber. My environment and use caused the rapid wear, I live in a dry environment with a lot of dirt and sand. Very abrasive and frequent use on rough roads made for a lot of movement for the grit to work with. 

I wish that replacement links for the WD21 were as easy and inexpensive as the R50. 

On 3/7/2020 at 1:47 AM, Sjackson2 said:

Poly is definitely worth the time and effort. Get the split ones, mich easier to install 

What method did you use to remove the old bushings? I don't have a press and tried to cut the bushing the then use a punch and hammer. Most came out ok. But I damaged the end of one of my control arms with the saw. Not terribly. Its questionably usable, but that was far below what I was aiming for. Any tips on getting the bushings out?

Last time I did mine, I used a ball joint press to push the old bushing shell out of the arm and press the new ones in. Also used a bit of grease on the outside of the bushing shells to help them slide in a little easier. Still a lot of work and swearing involved. 

One other tip, do one arm at a time. Otherwise you will really be swearing trying to get them all to go back where they belong. Learned that lesson the hard way the first time I did my link bushings. 

On 3/10/2020 at 4:32 PM, AlwaysWrenching said:

What method did you use to remove the old bushings? I don't have a press and tried to cut the bushing the then use a punch and hammer. Most came out ok. But I damaged the end of one of my control arms with the saw. Not terribly. Its questionably usable, but that was far below what I was aiming for. Any tips on getting the bushings out?

Lots of burning and cutting