Looking for inspiration for my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

01NPLE

Picking up this 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE with only 77k mileage on it! Can’t wait to start building her up. New to the Pathfinder life and was hoping to get some suggestions and inspiration. Shes super clean very little surface rust below but its a NY vehicle gotta expect a little.

Any common issue I should look for immediately? Any suggestions on ideal tires offset for a nice bulky profile? As well as wheel brand suggestions. Really open to anything.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

ACC70405-030F-4A97-97B3-5FC9EF7974A9.jpeg

Hey mate, nice clean pick up! 

First thing I did with mine when I got her stock was new wheels and tires.. You can fit 31" on stock ride height but you may need to trim your bumper.. or get a bull bar ;)

Sunraysia Steel Rims are pretty popular and fairly cheap, don't go any smaller than 16" as any smaller will rub the inside against your calipers.

Below is pic with 31's before any lift or suspension mods    -7 offset sits flush with flares.. which is a legal requirement where I live.

r50 lone.jpg

Edited by RAW444
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RAW444 said:

First thing I did with mine when I got her stock was new wheels and tires.. You can fit 31" on stock ride height but you may need to trim your bumper.. or get a bull bar ;)

Sunraysia Steel Rims are pretty popular and fairly cheap, don't go any smaller than 16" as any smaller will rub the inside against your calipers.

Below is pic with 31's before any lift or suspension mods    -7 offset sits flush with flares.. which is a legal requirement where I live.

r50 lone.jpg

dY6gVcW.jpg

15x8’s with 3.75 backspacing don’t rub my calipers at all.

• Like 2

Okay, my bad, just be aware that some 15's will rub, I guess the thickness & backspacing would play a role.. I bought 15" Sunraysia's and the front scraped a nice little cut out of the rims.. lucky the guys at the shop were still happy to swap them over for 16's..

Hopefully it's as clean as it looks! They do tend to rot around the strut towers, so check there. If it's got the 3.3, it's got a timing belt that's due at around 100k (105?) but might be worth doing anyway as a precaution given that it's old enough to vote. If it's got the 3.5 and an automatic, you may want to pull it apart and loctite the power valve screws, as those have a bad habit of backing out and falling in. Some of the 3.5 trucks also have oil consumption issues, so keep an eye on the dipstick, at least at first.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 5:43 AM, RAW444 said:

r50 lone.jpg

First of all, nice looking Pathy!!

15's will fit, but it's kinda situational. Steelies tend to be much more likely to fit than alloys. I had ProComp Series 51 15x8 3.75" BS on my QX4, looked tough IMO. For the OP, I'd suggest getting either 15's or 16's, whatever you think fits your budget (consider tire price too) and local availability better. Seems like tires for 15's are becoming less common as new 4x4's get bigger and bigger wheels stock.

Pics here:

If it's got the 3.5 and an automatic, you may want to pull it apart and loctite the power valve screws, as those have a bad habit of backing out and falling in.

Power Valve Evangelist Here

We’re glad to have you and I think you’ll find this a very usefull and welcoming community.

Unfortunately, let me start off by emphasizing @slartibarfast comment with a little bit of bad news in an effort to prevent catastrophe. It is an uncommon, but frequent enough occurrence, for the screws on the power valves on the automatic transmission models to come loose and be ingested by the engine. Sometimes this happens without effect, but it’s usually discovered when it kills the engine. Nissan had TSBs to repair this problem on the Altimas & sport Sentras with the same engine & lost a Class Action Lawsuit on it in California with the Pathfinders. Otherwise, Nissan sadly never acknowledged the problem in R50s & did not alert owners. I was a victim and I know of 3 others in the last 2 years. The fix takes about 2-3 hours and can be done with fairly basic mechanical skills or by a mechanic. I strongly urge you to address it as soon as possible to avoid this sad fate. Below is a link to the best thread available regarding the repair.

POWER VALVES
http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/17104-threadlocker-on-power-valve-screws-pics/page-1
  • Like 2