Revers works, Drive engages, Wont go forward

ninjawhosleeps

Title sums it up, I have been forum searching for days. Radiator was bypassed long ago with a derale cooler/fan, temp gauge, and inline spin on filter. Pathy was driven for many mile (has around 140k on it now) has towed but rarely anything more than a boat. Fluid was changed last year and the filter was changed around that time.

Symptoms: The pathy and I stopped a light after an evening of driving with zero issues (like any other day). Light turned green, went for the gas, she didnt move. Towed it to the shop. No one can say for sure what it is. I also work on my own vehicles and motorcycles and was professional but quit wrenching as a job.

It has reverse, no slipping, not slow to engage, put it in gear, it rolls back on its own and you could drive all day in reverse.

You put it in drive from park or neutral and the rear tires jerk just a little (like any auto engaging a gear) but has no force behind, engine spins like its in neutral.

This thing has me thrown, I briefly checked fuses, fluid it still red and mostly translucent. registers cold when cold.

It cant be the torque converter if reverse work and has plenty of tension/ power. It cant be the clutch pack, again it has reverse and doesn't slip.

I really am low on ideas, throw em at me.

Thank you.

(2011 Nissan Pathfinder/ white/ stock wheels/ 32' tires/ rad bypass/ inline filter/ trans temp gauge)

I don't know much about the R51, so, grain of salt here. I'd say check codes but I'm guessing that's the first thing the shop did. If it's not coding, the computer doesn't know there's a problem, which probably indicates a mechanical problem rather than an electrical one. From my limited knowledge of the inner workings of autotragics, I'd say either something's hung up in the valve body (preventing pressure from going where it should) or maybe a sprag clutch gave up. If you put it in manual first or second, does that change anything? The AT section of the service manual (which you can get here) may have some relevant troubleshooting info, though with the later manuals you have to wade through a lot of hand-holding for how to press the buttons on the dealership CONSULT computer before you get to anything useful. Failing that, you could drop the valve body and look for anything that doesn't move like it should or is obviously damaged (broken springs, cracked pistons). Hopefully it's just a valve body problem and you don't have to drop the trans. Good luck!