AC Delco variable rate springs and suspension upgrades

WA97Pathy

I'm doing some suspension upgrades to my 97 pathy and I was curious if anyone has used the AC Delco variable rate rear springs (part number 45H2157)?

Current parts list is below, id love for some feedback on the selected parts if anyone has any. I'm looking to hit about middle of the road on cost for components, I don't want the cheapest but I'm also trying to avoid shelling out the money for Bilstein's.

Gabriel ultra ready mount struts for the front (already ordered and delivered, can return if need be)

KYB gas-a-just rear shock absorbers

AC Delco variable rate rear springs

MOOG ball joints

AC Delco control arms for the front

MOOG front and rear stabilizer bar links

2" all around lift kit from SF creations

Is there any other suspension parts either for the front or the rear I should have on standby just in case? 

Edited by WA97Pathy

Maybe camber adjustment bolts? I usually just replace all (well most) suspension parts when doing stuff like this. Keeps me from going under the truck a second time....

How about manual lockers? I just installed a set on mine and it's supposed to lengthen cv joint life, especially with a lift....

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks dogla! I decided not to go with the front end kit as I don’t want to mess with the steering rack and pinion. Ordered the lower control arms and ball joints separately. I also ordered the stabilizer links for the front and rear.I Should probably update the Post with that. 

manual hubs will be down the road, most people say they aren’t super critical right away but a good idea to add on to prevent CV wear. 

Edited by WA97Pathy

With a 2" lift I still think manual hubs are a must. With the lift your cv joint angles become much steeper, I had situations where with my lift the joints would briefly lockup when extended all the way....now with the manual hubs it's all good...

On 2/21/2020 at 3:23 AM, dogla said:

With a 2" lift I still think manual hubs are a must...I had situations where with my lift the joints would briefly lockup when extended all the way...

You must be using a spacer lift. With a 2" coil spring lift, there is no binding or locking of the CV joints when extended all the way, because the max extension isn't changed from stock (unlike spacers, which allow 2" further extension). Manual hubs have to be engaged when you're off-roading, and you will probably break a CV joint if you extend the front suspension all the way driving on moguled terrain.

• Like 2

You must be using a spacer lift. With a 2" coil spring lift, there is no binding or locking of the CV joints when extended all the way, because the max extension isn't changed from stock (unlike spacers, which allow 2" further extension). Manual hubs have to be engaged when you're off-roading, and you will probably break a CV joint if you extend the front suspension all the way driving on moguled terrain.

Yes I am. I did have heavier coils installed before on my front struts but they would really violently extend to max everytime I went over a speed bump. That's why I tried spacer lift this time. I'm not really offroading, just driving a lot in rough terrain, bad roads, and I just like the lifted look....and when I need 4wd I will make sure not to get the fronts extended all the way.

Do you have a rough idea which coils would provide 2.5" lift in front? Cuz I already have my 2.5" coils in rear....

And the ride does become a lot firmer when putting heavier duty coils right

If you have lift springs in back you really want longer shocks to match or you'll have no articulation and lift a wheel very easily. I ran gas-a-just's with 2" lift spacers in back for like a week and swapped them for bilsteins the first time I off-roaded due to the lack of articulation and rough ride. The Bilsteins are well worth it imo and were ~$75 each on Amazon.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, DesertKyle said:

If you have lift springs in back you really want longer shocks to match or you'll have no articulation and lift a wheel very easily. I ran gas-a-just's with 2" lift spacers in back for like a week and swapped them for bilsteins the first time I off-roaded due to the lack of articulation and rough ride. The Bilsteins are well worth it imo and were ~$75 each on Amazon.

I don't think the AC Delco's I selected are lift springs.. they should be OEM height just the variable rate (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). I'm in the same boat as dogla above in that I don't really do much if any hardcore off-roading, its mostly just rougher terrain i'm driving on so i'm not too worried about the articulation. I will def checkout the Bilsteins though. might be worth it to just get them based on the love for them around here.