All of this for a water pump...

MiltonWATech99

Nice! The electric fan upgrade was a major improvement as far as trust goes but I feel like I actually have less power than with the thermal clutch. I should clarify, I have less power when the AC is on due to the extra draw on the alternator and possibly a little bit more power when everything is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My mechanical fan clutch was worn to the point where there was no resistance and it would constantly turn regardless of temperature. A little bit more of a voltage draw with this fan? Yes. But I feel like the long-term benefits outweigh the cons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the compressor is pulling more energy from the engine than the alternator ever could. The pair of electric fans on my truck have a 20 amp breaker feeding them, and they have never tripped it. I don't notice a power difference with the fans on or off, but to be fair, my truck is not a good baseline. I am running factory gears with 33x12.50 MT's, auto trans, 3.3L transplant with an oversized battery, and 110A alternator. 

My E-fan conversion was not to free up any lost power, it was to free up some room and better cooling control of the engine. 

With my 1977 200SX, I had the bearings in the fan clutch fail while traveling about 90 mph. Felt like we hit a 4" deep water puddle and the fan howl was incredible. Drove like that for another year before I got fed up with the noise and pulled the fan and installed an electric. Got rid of the supercharger howl and got better temp control. Got a bit more response back in the engine and saved a bit of fuel. That isn't the best example either, because the fan was locked and turning faster than it ever would with a functional clutch, since at full engagement, fan clutches still slip so fan speed never gets as high as mine did. Looking back, I am impressed at how strong that plastic fan was. Engine redline in that car was 8k rpm. It saw 7k regularly and I suspect that the tips of the blades were going fast enough to create some interesting air flows, let alone the G-loads. 

I’ve got the puny stock atl and when the defrost is on I can feel the difference between low and full blower settings. Haha

The windshield wipers move quite slow as well until I’m over 1500-1700rpm. I can’t use the 100watt fog lights I got at all or it’s even worse.

Everything is fine cruising at 70mph (2600rpm) but sitting or even riding trails is a concern and I will be looking for a Quest alt next trip to the JY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hear you, never understood why Nissan put such a low output alternator in our trucks.

Just like the compact spare on the trucks with the swing out tire carrier. Have to admit it was funny seeing the "temporary use only" warning on the tire that was larger than the road tires on Jeeps of the time.