Installing reverse camera in bumper or lift gate?

malacandro

Hi all - looked up, and it was already February! I’ve been putting off this safety upgrade but am finally getting around to installing my front and rear dash cam. Since I’m STILL carrying my spare inside the cargo area , visibility is pretty bad.

It has a reverse camera to install, but I just realized that I am not sure what I’ll do about mounting it. I know several of you have installed cameras so I’m curious what you chose. Did you install inside the lift gate, inside the vehicle on the lift gate window, or drill a hole in the bumper?

I’ll probably just run the wire through the cab as I don’t have the capacity to rip my interior apart right now, but I’m stuck on which approach to take. If anyone has suggestions based on their own experiences, I’m all ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed mine on the license plate, but I guess it depends which camera model you have and best way to mount it...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I installed mine on the license plate, but I guess it depends which camera model you have and best way to mount it...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

True – I did see there are some wireless options. Mine is one of the ones that has to run a cable from the rearview mirror to the rear of the car for the camera. Is yours wired? If so, I’m assuming you went under the paneling in the liftgate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you can mount it outside then i would go on the licence plate mount. if not i would goo off the plastic trim for the upper brake light housing on the inside of the glass. as for the wire just run it with the brake wire and then down the paneling. under the floor carpets are where most of the factory wires run inside of a plastic white shroud. i like to run my wires through that even though it is a process it protects the wires from wear and tear. if it were mine i would run it through that from the inside of the lift gate and then through my dash and then run it up the door pillar on either side of the dash what ever is closer, and then above where the windshield meets the head liner and to the camera 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Strato_54 said:

if you can mount it outside then i would go on the licence plate mount. if not i would goo off the plastic trim for the upper brake light housing on the inside of the glass. as for the wire just run it with the brake wire and then down the paneling. under the floor carpets are where most of the factory wires run inside of a plastic white shroud. i like to run my wires through that even though it is a process it protects the wires from wear and tear. if it were mine i would run it through that from the inside of the lift gate and then through my dash and then run it up the door pillar on either side of the dash what ever is closer, and then above where the windshield meets the head liner and to the camera 

Interesting - I hadn't thought about the brake light housing. Good idea. Yeah, I should probably take the time to do it right...so hard to find the hours now, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malacandro said:

Interesting - I hadn't thought about the brake light housing. Good idea. Yeah, I should probably take the time to do it right...so hard to find the hours now, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

any time man. you came to this forum for help so help is what you will get! if you dont want to run it under the og wire runs in the floor just run it next to them and tuck it next to them. but its not hard to get them through it with an old coat hanger and tape 

• Like 1