'97 3.3 Engine cuts off when heater is on??

DonutHands

Thats it, Pathfinder is new to me, first time ive used the heater. Im in LA and its only dropped into the 40's a couple days so far.

Turned on the heater and after maybe 10-15 min, the engine cuts off. Put it in park and it turns over no problem. Only used the heater twice, but same issue both times I tried it.

Ideas?

Weird. The only way I can imagine the heater making the engine shut off is if the heater and the computer share a power or ground somewhere that's getting weak and can't handle them both, but I'd expect that to cause problems as soon as you turned the heater on, not 10-15 minutes later. Any pattern to when it craps out? At stop lights, under load? Any other symptoms?

Tried driving a couple more times at night with the heater on but no cutting out. Engine has never just shut off like this before. 

I think the 2 times it did cut out it was in the 40s. Has not been that cold since. I try again on a colder night.

11 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Possibly a sticky or failed idle air control valve. Have you tried cleaning the throttle body?

Really have not done anything to this relatively new to me truck. I will look into this, any post on how to service this handy? 

For cleaning the throttle body, I use some carb/throttle body cleaner spray and an old toothbrush. Pull the boot off the throttle body, hold the throttle open and spray the throttle plate and throat liberally. Scrub with the brush and repeat until mostly clean. Finish up by wiping it all out with a rag. 

Spray into the little passages in the throat of the throttle body also. For the IAC(idle air control) valve, might have to remove the valve and clean it and the passages with more cleaner. I also use compressed air to blow out residue.