Fuel pump kill switch

Strato_54

I want to install an elite modification that only a very small amount of people will ever tackle in their life time on select vehicles. A hidden fuel pump switch somewhere on my 97. I know where im going to put it, but im not gonna say where for obvious reasons. BUT im not sure what wires im gonna need for this one. Where would i find the fuel pump relay wire under the dash if one, and if there are any better ideas on how to make the kill switch even better then just fuel pump. Any and all input is welcome, but mostly wiring info. Thanks

I know on the 01 the relay is in the driver's side under hood relay box. I took it apart and tapped into it for controlling the power to my trailer 7 way plug through another relay.

I think some years had the relay in the driver's side rear quarter panel.

If you have the FSM for your year it has some pretty decent wire loom pics. It will tell you where the ECU is. It will also tell you what pin the fuel pump relay trigger wire comes off the ECU, and it's wire color and approximate routing to the relay.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I did this already. To do so, run a 16awg wire pair from inside the cabin where your switch is mounted through the firewall. I route my wires through the diamond shaped plate where the clutch cylinder would have been attached. Run the wires (inside a wire loom for protection) along the cowl beside the brake lines and down to the fuse box behind the battery.

First, pop out the fuel pump fuse. Turn the ignition to ON and using a voltmeter, check which one of the fuse terminals is hot. The non-hot side goes to the fuel pump. You will be cutting the wire on that side of the fuse later. Turn off the ignition and replace the fuse.

Unbolt the fuse box. Remove the alternator wire from the stud on the fuse box. You may also need to remove the positive battery cable to give you more room to work on the fuse box. Use small flat screwdrivers to pop open the clips holding the upper and lower halves of the fuse box together. Locate the fuel pump fuse. Cut the FP fuse wire you identified earlier and connect the ends of your switch wires to the the cut wire. You should use male/female solderless connectors on the OEM cut wire in case you want to undo the mod later. Route your wires along the existing wire bundle, then snap the top and bottom halves together. Put it al back together and you’re done!

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XPLORx4 said:

I did this already. To do so, run a 16awg wire pair from inside the cabin where your switch is mounted through the firewall. I route my wires through the diamond shaped plate where the clutch cylinder would have been attached. Run the wires (inside a wire loom for protection) along the cowl beside the brake lines and down to the fuse box behind the battery.

First, pop out the fuel pump fuse. Turn the ignition to ON and using a voltmeter, check which one of the fuse terminals is hot. The non-hot side goes to the fuel pump. You will be cutting the wire on that side of the fuse later. Turn off the ignition and replace the fuse.

Unbolt the fuse box. Remove the alternator wire from the stud on the fuse box. You may also need to remove the positive battery cable to give you more room to work on the fuse box. Use small flat screwdrivers to pop open the clips holding the upper and lower halves of the fuse box together. Locate the fuel pump fuse. Cut the FP fuse wire you identified earlier and connect the ends of your switch wires to the the cut wire. You should use male/female solderless connectors on the OEM cut wire in case you want to undo the mod later. Route your wires along the existing wire bundle, then snap the top and bottom halves together. Put it al back together and you’re done!

The only issue with that is I do have a clutch. So I would have to run it through the fender liner which I’ve already done multiple times. Would I be able to cut the hot wire run that to my switch and then run it back to where the other end of the hot would go to the fuse? I’m low on space and can’t really pull the tire if I’m running to the battery. My fuse is inside the cab under the steering wheel

The only issue with that is I do have a clutch. So I would have to run it through the fender liner which I’ve already done multiple times. Would I be able to cut the hot wire run that to my switch and then run it back to where the other end of the hot would go to the fuse? I’m low on space and can’t really pull the tire if I’m running to the battery. My fuse is inside the cab under the steering wheel

Cut into the line anywhere between the ecu and fuel pump. I haven’t done it in an R50 but I’ve done it in other cars and I used to just cut the line right off the ecu to add the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mvlzmarv said:

Cut into the line anywhere between the ecu and fuel pump. I haven’t done it in an R50 but I’ve done it in other cars and I used to just cut the line right off the ecu to add the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just have to figure out what line is what and where basically now 

i just have to figure out what line is what and where basically now 
Do you have the FSM? It makes it very easy to determine the line and color. Who knows how hard the access will be. I could look in mine, but it is for 2001 and could be considerably different since they have different engines.

3 hours ago, colinnwn said:

Do you have the FSM? It makes it very easy to determine the line and color. Who knows how hard the access will be. I could look in mine, but it is for 2001 and could be considerably different since they have different engines.

i found it online on the nico site. ill have to look around for the wire loom section in the whole thing. or ill just do it stupid and just grab a test light and a multimeter