OD Light flashing on startup -- No speedo

missionstreet

Im getting a bunch of fast blinks from the "OD disable" light in my cluster every time I start the truck. All fast flashes. Coincidently the speedometer is no longer working. 

I don't believe the transmission is in "fail-safe" or "limp" mode as I can see/feel it shifting through gears.

Anyone experienced this?

Sounds like the speed sensor has quit and the trans computer is trying to tell you about it via the old blinky-lights OBD carried over from earlier models. AT-45 of the '98 manual has the procedure for decoding what it's unhappy about by watching for a longer flash. Looks like each code has its own page reference for further troubleshooting as well.

If you don't get anywhere with the blinky lights, and you have an OBD-II scanner, give that a go. Looks like most of the patterns listed also have a DTC associated with them. I don't know whether a cheap code scanner would see codes on the trans computer, or if the DTC numbers mean they'd show up on the engine computer. :shrug: Won't hurt anything to try.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all, just now able to get around to fixing this. Have P0500 and truck seems NOT to be in transmission limp mode and shifting OK (I have even been towing). Will check flash sequence later today. 

Reading about a possible plastic gear that fails and is NOT included with new sensor? That's of course after you manage to remove the old crusty sensor from transfer case. Thank God I broke, torched and extracted all those bolts for the exhaust heat shields + bracket that holds the harness plugs while I had it on a lift replacing the rear brake lines...

Edited by missionstreet

Actually just crawled under there to address some rear sway stuff and honestly it doesn't look that hard to get to for me. I think its sitting behind an exhaust support bracket.

I did wiggle the wire to the connector as I was soaking the bolt and I noticed OD not flashing anymore on start up.

• 4 months later...

Any update on your issue? My 98 pathy is doing the same, engine light sending P0500 for VSS, and I did notice the O/D flash a bunch the other day.

I am having a hard time locating the VSS on the trans, is it near the front or back? and on the drivers side? Any photos or tips appreciated. I got my vehicle back from the shop and spent a bucket of money, and then the next day the speedo stopped working...