Cold Air Intake Installation

Teesetz

I cannot find a k and n cold air intake for my 99 XE. However they sell one For the frontier with same engine. Would it be safe and applicable to buy the kit for the frontier and install on the pathfinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as long as you have the engine bay space for it and it mounts some what the same yeah sure. I know people that have tig welded their own intake pipes and just thrown an K and N filter on the end of it and works perfectly fine

Good to know. And it might be a dumb question but i shouldn’t have to worry about water getting in the intake? Under the assumption the frontier and pathfinder would receive air the same way

1 hour ago, Teesetz said:

Good to know. And it might be a dumb question but i shouldn’t have to worry about water getting in the intake? Under the assumption the frontier and pathfinder would receive air the same way

if youre going up to the hood and doing real deep stuff in the mud, or full on spraying the filter while its running then no you should be fine. theres no way really for water to get that high and ruin anything. Unless youre driving through a hurricane 

9 hours ago, Teesetz said:

6 hours ago, Strato_54 said:

if youre going up to the hood and doing real deep stuff in the mud, or full on spraying the filter while its running then no you should be fine. theres no way really for water to get that high and ruin anything. Unless youre driving through a hurricane 

Do worry about stuff getting into the intake, especially if you’re adding a cone filter that’s not getting boxed in in any way. Or if you have fender wells that are modified or removed. I have seen 2 nissans hydrolocked in very shallow water in the last 6 months. Take water crossings very slowly. 1 was a stock intake with missing fender wells trying to bog through mid-rim deep mud, the other was an open cone filter rallying through a similar depth puddle of mud

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Teesetz said:

Duely noted. I live in the Northwest and we experience a lot of rain, just wanted to clarify. 

The image of the cone filter you attached is broken.

If you have Instagram, look up midohio_nissan_organization, that’s where I got the video from. Also try changing your browser or if you’re in dark theme then change that too

Cool will do. Also thinking of just getting a pop charger for now until I decide what kind of intake hose I want to make or buy

I have a k&n air intake on my 04 frontier. Aside from making a bit more sound it does absolutely nothing. I also have a k&n prefilter on the cone for dust and small water splashes. You are better off spend your money on something more useful. For my 03 pathfinder, I decided with a simple k&n panel filter. Does the job and I don’t worry about buying replacements.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Definitely. After looking into I’m keeping the stock air box with the drop in k and n In it currently. I’m quite sure a “cold” air intake might actually do more harm than good. With out tuning some things and recalibrating the computer to the new air flow. I also don’t think it gives you “cooler” by any means. If anything it’s just ambient air from the engine bay, which could actually be hotter than where the stock air box pulls air from.

• Thanks 1

Yep, the stock setup is more of a cold air intake since it draws air from outside the engine bay. The air gets quite warm in that small space between the exhaust manifold and radiator that the so called cold air intakes put the filter. 

The stock airbox does a good job of keeping water out as long as you don't go deeper than the top of the tires. If water is a concern, a snorkel is the best route. My old Pathfinder uses a K&N filter in the stock airbox. I have done water crossings up to my headlights with no problems pulling water into the engine. 

• Like 1

Yep, the stock setup is more of a cold air intake since it draws air from outside the engine bay. The air gets quite warm in that small space between the exhaust manifold and radiator that the so called cold air intakes put the filter. 
The stock airbox does a good job of keeping water out as long as you don't go deeper than the top of the tires. If water is a concern, a snorkel is the best route. My old Pathfinder uses a K&N filter in the stock airbox. I have done water crossings up to my headlights with no problems pulling water into the engine. 

I’m finding out more and more people using the stock air box. Living in the northwest you run into water crossing without even leaving the pavement lol