2005 PF adding trailer electric brake capability

mpilihp

So Im a new Pathfinder owner and Im looking to use it to two a trailer.  In my stated anything over 3K lbs needs brakes and my trailer has electric brakes.

I see there is a standard 4 wire trailer plug on the hitch, but I am looking to add the electric brake port to connect the trailer to and add an electric brake controller on the dash.

Are there adapter cables available to just plug into the existing wiring harness for both items?

Thank You  ~ Phil

On 1/6/2020 at 4:49 PM, mpilihp said:

So Im a new Pathfinder owner and Im looking to use it to two a trailer.  In my stated anything over 3K lbs needs brakes and my trailer has electric brakes.

I see there is a standard 4 wire trailer plug on the hitch, but I am looking to add the electric brake port to connect the trailer to and add an electric brake controller on the dash.

Are there adapter cables available to just plug into the existing wiring harness for both items?

Thank You  ~ Phil

the 4 pin trailer plugs dont have brakes. There probably is an adapter that can add on the 7 pin connector with out cutting the 4 pin. IMO i would cut the 4pin on the car thats already there and just wire it to a 7 pin plug and just use a 7pin to 4 pin adapter for any other trailer with no brakes. Or buy a plug thing with the 7 pin adn the 4 pin

Edited by Strato_54

I dont think the brake control will have connectivity if adapting from 4 to 7, those extra wires are needed for the brake control.  

I've found on eTrailer.com that there are adapter setups for the PF but different if you have the tow package or not.  Seams they all come with a hitch receiver so not sure what is considered the tow package so I know which wiring harness/setup to buy.

Thanks

~ Phil

8 hours ago, mpilihp said:

I dont think the brake control will have connectivity if adapting from 4 to 7, those extra wires are needed for the brake control.  

I've found on eTrailer.com that there are adapter setups for the PF but different if you have the tow package or not.  Seams they all come with a hitch receiver so not sure what is considered the tow package so I know which wiring harness/setup to buy.

Thanks

~ Phil

all the 4pin is really, is a ground, left, right and brake light power. if you cut the 4 pin off and put it into the 7 pin plug will still work you just run your brake wire to the pin on the 7 pin for the trailer. and then if you ever needed get a cheap 7 pin to 4 pin adapter again and use that for a trailer with out a 7pin or brakes. I did exactly this on my 97. i installed the 4 pin wiring harness for the lights cut off the end and just put it into my 7 pin plug built into my bumper. it works like it should with no issues what so ever

Edited by Strato_54

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked it up, the 2005 Pathfinder like the Frontier, Armada, and I suspect the Xterra, is pre wired for a 7 pole trailer connect. That includes the brakes. You can go to your local dealership and get the trailer wiring kit that is all plug and play. It comes with everything but the brake controller, but it does have the pigtail to plug into the harness under the dash to connect your controller to. It also has the needed fuses and relays for the system. There is a flat 4 kit also, but you were wanting to have the brake system, so the 7 pole round plug is the one you want.

I spent 2016-2019 at my local Nissan dealership and did hitch installs among other things there and knew the newer stuff was prewired, just was not sure how far back they were. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

• 9 months later...
On 1/22/2020 at 3:54 PM, Mr_Reverse said:

I just looked it up, the 2005 Pathfinder like the Frontier, Armada, and I suspect the Xterra, is pre wired for a 7 pole trailer connect. That includes the brakes. You can go to your local dealership and get the trailer wiring kit that is all plug and play. It comes with everything but the brake controller, but it does have the pigtail to plug into the harness under the dash to connect your controller to. It also has the needed fuses and relays for the system. There is a flat 4 kit also, but you were wanting to have the brake system, so the 7 pole round plug is the one you want.

I spent 2016-2019 at my local Nissan dealership and did hitch installs among other things there and knew the newer stuff was prewired, just was not sure how far back they were. 

I have done this to my 08 R51.  The wiring harness from Nissan will not work.  You need to convert the 4 pin to a 7 pin plug.  There is a kit on etrailer.com to do this.  There is also a video on etrailer.com that shows you step by step how to connect the harness.  The kit from etrailer will give the option to have both 4 pin and 7 pin plugs.  The brake controller will also need 2 relays (also found on etrailer) to function.  I tow a 19ft travel trailer with a brake controller and also a utility trailer that is a 4 pin for hauling wood etc.

Here is the video of the install.  It also should have the part descriptions/numbers in the video aswell.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-brake-controller-2011-nissan-pathfinder-39510.aspx

Hope this helps!