Rwd Pathy

20angier

Enjoying a 2wd for offroad use all depends on the difficulty of the trails you drive on. I would recommend avoiding all mud, and don’t drive on any roads that require steep, slow climbing since you don’t have low range gearing. Carry with you some means of self-recovery in case you get stuck. That means a d-ring shackles, tow strap or two, a hi-lift jack perhaps, and maybe some MaxTrax. Air compressor and tire deflators also. 

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

Sanity has a big effect on it too. If you are a bit off like me, it is amazing what a rear wheel drive can do. However, it does get expensive. If you were to put a locker in that rear axle, it really is incredible how far you can go, but you will get stuck even deeper. My one run of Hells Revenge was done in 2wd because I broke my steering at the beginning of the trail. I did have my locker and low range to help my insanity to get me through though. I just did the run in 4lo with the hubs unlocked and took the easy lines. Also left a lot of rubber on the rocks too. 

• Like 2

I had a RWD Frontier when I was a teenager and it seemed to go anywhere and very rarely ever got stuck.

I never use 4WD on fire roads. Honestly the only time I use 4WD is when I’m going places my vehicle has no businesses being.

I will say that without lower gearing you can run into overheating issues in the summer. My first engine didn’t have a blown HG and I did see temps go above normal when going slow on trails in the summer. A quick neutral engine rev would shoot the temp back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

3 hours ago, onespiritbrain said:

I had a RWD Frontier when I was a teenager and it seemed to go anywhere and very rarely ever got stuck.

I never use 4WD on fire roads. Honestly the only time I use 4WD is when I’m going places my vehicle has no businesses being.

I will say that without lower gearing you can run into overheating issues in the summer. My first engine didn’t have a blown HG and I did see temps go above normal when going slow on trails in the summer. A quick neutral engine rev would shoot the temp back down.

My pathy does overheat when climbing really steep hills, so a radiator upgrade may foresee the future.

7 hours ago, onespiritbrain said:

I went with an electric fan from an old Volvo 950 and it works exceptionally well.

Did the fan mount well or did you have to fab some mounts?

Yeah I did have to make some mounts for it and about 10-15% of the radiator is unshrouded and that did suck because all I had was some kind of special stainless steel that was hard to work but if you had some scrap aluminum it wouldn’t be bad at all.

I literally took the whole fan and shroud right off the Volvo and slapped it on mine. This is the guide I followed:
https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/volvo_electric_fan.shtml

• Like 1