OEM Strut/Coil Mounting Parts

cham

I've been curious for while now which parts need to be OEM when replacing the front struts and coils.  Specifically when using KYB Excel G struts because that is where the majority of the issues I've heard about surround.  Since I am planning on ordering KYB struts and OME HD coils soon for the front, I'm wondering if anyone who has had experience with this application or any knowledge on the subject can chime in.  Like stated I've seen posts about the subject but not with every specific part referenced.  Some things I'm sure about such as the strut bearing, and more than likely new knuckle bolts/nuts, and upper strut mounting nuts, but others I'm not so sure about.  Below is a picture of the full assembly and this link (https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/2002-nissan-pathfinder/axle_suspension/front_suspension.html?Filter=(1=W;2=VQ35DE;3=USA;4=P%2f4WD;5=LE;6=AT)&Diagram=401_A007) should lead you to that website with all listed parts and prices.  As it stands, if everything is replaced without including obviously the coil and strut, I also disregarded the bump stop as I'm sure the KYB one will suffice, the total is $243.66.  That is only for one coil/strut assembly, so the full total would be $487.32.  Now to avoid paying more than the struts and coils themselves I ask; what will I definitely need to buy OEM, what might I be able to reuse from my old parts, and what might I be able to use from the parts included with the KYB struts.  I appreciate any input so definitely don't feel as if you must answer every question I've asked.  I should also mention that Rocky Road Outfitters recommends using their front leveling trim packer along with the front OME coils so I'm guessing that should be considered.  I'm not aware of exactly what it is so it may be relevant or not.  

2002 Nissan Pathfinder Front Suspension - Diagram 1

I used the same setup you're using. I bought all the parts and made a complete assembly so the old strut/spring assembly could be pulled out and the new one put in. You can reuse all the old metal parts as long as they aren't bent or rusted to bad. Definitely replace the strut bearings with oem. If you use the trim packers you will need to use longer mounting bolts. The trim packers are just spacers. Press out the old bolts and replace with longer ones. The bump stops and bellows did not come with my struts and had to be purchased separately. They may come with yours. I hope this helps you.

So you ended up just biting the bullet and buying all parts of the assembly for easier installation if I'm reading this correctly.  I think as you say the safest bet is to only reuse metal parts of the assembly if in okay condition but I'm unsure of what parts this effects exactly.  I realize that part "54320 - Strut Mounting Insulator Assy" is definitely metal but unsure about part "54036 - Front Spring Seat."  Also would part "54329N - Front Strut Insulator Spacer" be replaced by the trim packer or added with it?  I'm assuming it is metal as well.

On 1/5/2020 at 4:33 PM, Megaton said:

If you use the trim packers you will need to use longer mounting bolts. The trim packers are just spacers. Press out the old bolts and replace with longer ones.

Finally when you say this you are referring to part "54322"?  Can the bolts be simply pressed out because in the assembly diagram you cannot order the bolts individually?  Beyond that I believe all other parts have rubber in the name.  Thanks for your response btw, this definitely helps!  I apologize for having so many questions.

Alright homie. There's a few threads on this forum that have more detail, including my personal build thread you can check out. Long story short, the KYB replacement stuff is all totally fine and will go together exactly like OEM, except that KYB item 54320 is different than OEM. KYB item 54320 comes as a two part piece that the above schematic doesn't show. Basically there's a metal tube that comes out of that part and extends down to engage with the strut when assembled where as the KYB unit has the part and the metal tube separate. It's super super easy to assemble, but you just have to remember to put the metal tube spacer onto the strut prior to putting item 54320 on when assembling. And that's it.

So basically you're saying the only OEM part I really need is the strut bearing.  As long as the spacer is used for the kyb mount everything should work out.  For all other assembly parts I can use the included kyb kit?  Also because my old OEM strut mounts are metal, there isn't any reason I can't just go ahead and reuse them is there?

I personally bought KYB replacements for: 54302/54303 (strut), 54050M (strut bellow), 54320 (strut mount + spacer it comes with), 54325 (strut bearing came with mount), 54040BA/BB (nuts came with mount), 54056X I replaced the top bolt with a Moog camber bolt for added adjustability.

Then for everything else I re-used the OEM stuff. So I didn't use an OEM bearing, I guess only time will tell if it'll last.

I replaced all the rubber parts  and added the trim packers (they are steel).  With all of that sandwiched in there the bolts on part 54322 are a little short. I got away ( so far ) without replacing the bolts. They were already installed before I realised it. The bolts don't quite stick out through the nuts when mounted. If I had realized it, I would have replaced them. They can be pressed out and replaced with the same type bolts only a little longer.

• 2 years later...
On 1/7/2020 at 12:03 PM, zakzackzachary said:

Alright homie. There's a few threads on this forum that have more detail, including my personal build thread you can check out. Long story short, the KYB replacement stuff is all totally fine and will go together exactly like OEM, except that KYB item 54320 is different than OEM. KYB item 54320 comes as a two part piece that the above schematic doesn't show. Basically there's a metal tube that comes out of that part and extends down to engage with the strut when assembled where as the KYB unit has the part and the metal tube separate. It's super super easy to assemble, but you just have to remember to put the metal tube spacer onto the strut prior to putting item 54320 on when assembling. And that's it.

Zack is this the metal part that attaches to 54320? I just received my 2x KYB SM5329, but they came without the metal part that is pictured. Does it pull off of the OEM strut? Why is in the pic but not in the box I got?

KybstrutMount.jpg.8479f431c42ec15971653dbf259de53e.jpg

Thanks for any help! Im worried my package is messed up...

Edited by TheGhost