My new build.....2001 4x4

illusionzrcer

So I decided I was going to change the exterior completely and raptor liner the whole thing. I had already purchased black raptor liner a while back for the fender flares and rear bumper. I decided on charcoal grey metallic for the rest of the body.

Well, that’s definitely one way to address a tan paint job! It turned out quite nice. I’m impressed with your paint skills - I tried to do some accessories with the spray cans & that was a total failure.

Since your truck lives outside, it will be interesting to see what the winter does to it. I find stuff growing everywhere on mine by spring - I’m thinking the surface will be rough enough to give good purchase for our greenery to take root - the roads grow after all. That 2K is hard enough though that a good power wash ought to clean it.

Sorry for such a late reply. I honestly haven’t been on the forums at all lately and finally checked my messages today. Windshield is holding up fine sitting outside. They did a great job with the installation so no leaks or anything. Joes Glass in Everett did the work. I called many places and they were the cheapest. The owner runs the office and is a super cool guy. I chatted with him the whole time while his guys installed the windshield. I think he was right around 220 for glass and new upper seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that’s close enough I’ll probably consider using them. If you have comprehensive on your insurance, damaged windshields are generally considered a safety item & replaced for free with no deductible (State Farm at least).

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I tried using the cans on the T4R’s rock sliders & abandoned it, ultimately covering it with Rustoleum Textured. The spray can spit out gloppy, inconsistent blobs with little to literally no coverage in between. It has a vertical fan spray which would be good for broad surfaces but was terrible for tubes. I still have 3 cans of it that I’ll need to figure out where to use. Definitely go with a gun & I’d say you probably need to be a pretty experienced painter.

Interesting, I’ll have to keep that in mind. What do you think about rolling on the bed liner vs spraying? I think I’ve seen some really bad roll jobs but seems easier as long as you know what you’re doing  

If you own a compressor i would spray it. People have sprayed it outside in makeshift tents or just a canopy and turns out great. Bugs and dust doesn’t affect it after it’s all cured. Also the raptor liner is great at hiding any dings and imperfections. Prep is the key to it all though.

• Like 1

Well, that’s definitely one way to address a tan paint job! It turned out quite nice. I’m impressed with your paint skills - I tried to do some accessories with the spray cans & that was a total failure.

Since your truck lives outside, it will be interesting to see what the winter does to it. I find stuff growing everywhere on mine by spring - I’m thinking the surface will be rough enough to give good purchase for our greenery to take root - the roads grow after all. That 2K is hard enough though that a good power wash ought to clean it.

It’s hard to explain the texture that I got. It’s rough but smooth at the same time. If I ran a towel over the paint it would not snag anything if that makes sense. I don’t know how well if mine will hold up over time since it lives under a fairly large pine tree courtesy of my neighbor . You’re right about the 2K part and hopefully that will hold up over time.

• Like 1

What do you think about rolling on the bed liner vs spraying? I think I’ve seen some really bad roll jobs but seems easier as long as you know what you’re doing  

No opinion, honestly, I’m not really qualified to have one. I’m definitely a novice painter at best.