New looking to buy a mid 2000s PF

mpilihp

Hi Im looking to replace my 97 TJ Wrangler with something that has more space, power and comfort.  Was originally looking at 4Runners but see there is a premium on them and the PF is basically the same except for the IRS, which I am not a hard core off roader so I do not see this as an issue.  

Want a mid 2000 unit, I am looking at rigs in AL as my son is stationed there to get a no rust rig (Im in Maine).  What are some common pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks!

~ Phil

'05+ (R51) are IRS, '04 and back (R50 and WD21) are solid axle. The biggest thing I'm aware of with the R51 is the strawberry milkshake of death (SMOD), which happens when the trans cooler in the radiator fails and mixes coolant with tranny fluid, making a foul pink milkshake-looking schmoo that destroys the trans. Easy to prevent but can become expensive very quickly if you don't. Some of the VQ40 engines also had timing chain issues.

• Like 3

Good luck! One other thing if you're checking for SMOD, check the coolant too. When a family friend's R51 died of SMOD, I couldn't see it on the stick (presumably the coolant was closer to the bottom of the pan), but the coolant res had what looked like mayonnaise floating in it, and the gasket on the radiator cap had swelled with oil to where it was hard to put the cap back on.

So I bought a 2005 with 88K miles in great shape.  The carfax report doesn't indicate if the radiator was replaced or not.  It does not appear to have SMOD going on now but how do I verify if the radiator was replaced to prevent it from happening or not?  I can do the simple bypass the rad fix but would rather not if I do not have to.  It also appears to have had all the safety recalls done already.

So can I call a Nissan dealer with the VIN and find out what fixes  such as the radiator replacement have been done?  Im assuming the radiator was a service bulletin or something.

~ Phil

Looks like the original faulty radiators were made by Calsonic, so if the rad's got a Calsonic badge, it's probably original. There was a lawsuit, a settlement, and a warranty extension, but no recall AFAIK. My dad had a Frontier in that same year range and the dealer advised him to bypass the cooler, but they wouldn't pay for the job.