Metal in rear diff oil

Mattmill91

So what should I ask the seller to confirm for me ?

To ensure it’s the proper LSD.

The 4.3 as the 48:11 on the ring.

What would the supposed “02 xterra lsd 4.6” have on the ring ?

@hawairish that is a neat sounding feature on the GM truck option. Also that’s a great explanation on the lunch box lockers being more of a “un locker”

Honestly, if you're in Stockton, I wouldn't even bother with that eBay unit.  Pricewise, $300 for just the internals on that eBay unit is a rip.  I just bought a full 3rd member with LSD and a pair of axle shafts last weekend for $210; my yard typically charges $150 for the complete 3rd member, and I've bought a few in the area for about the same price.  Took hand tools and <30 mins to have it out, as you probably know.

Not sure the supply of yards in Stockton, but there's a ton of them in Sacramento, especially in a pocket in Rancho Cordova.  There used to be a "Nissan Only Wreckers" group there, but I think they are now Rancho Nissan Auto Dismantling.  But that little area they're in has several other yards right there on the same street.

Even if you don't pull it yourself, they'll pull it and warranty it for under that $300 I'm sure, in addition to having a large selection.  If you're being picky, you'll ask for an LSD unit from a 00-02 Xterra V6 or 01-02 Frontier V6 with HG46 gears, since those will have the best LSD setup for a unit that'll bolt right into your truck.  The 4.636 gears will be stamped with "51:11".  The 2wd units may have the ABS sensor on the snout (see below)...you can just ignore that; the overall snout length is the same as the units without the ABS sensors (our sensors are on the axle housing ends).

This is the LSD unit I just pulled the other day, from an 02 Xterra 2wd.

0-DFCCC6-C-3-A91-430-E-83-C8-B8999-F7590

LSD carrier (I have a couple units that aren't in the 3rd member if you need additional pics):

54-FDB012-F571-4-AA1-91-B2-F0678-D129-E4

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

11c63c3b0bd1f37b6d8b1c32113b0938.jpg

So many months later. I have torn down the LSD my original differential fearing a impending failure.

All bearing appear good. Races no feel able lip or gouges.

It appears to be the metal holder things inside the LSD have started to get eating up over the 200k mile life it’s had.

What todo. It’s coming in to holiday season and moneys tights. Snows a coming and I would like to be more confident in the truck with 4wd and matching gears.
d1fd3db1884fffda5f4e52b1d3d3a6e4.jpg
6d426d3b9e81c634e6edabf589d82910.jpg

That retainer damage doesn't come from high mileage...someone's had fun with that truck.  Can't say I've seen a set as bad as those.

Replacement pieces aren't available from Nissan unfortunately.  Nothing stops their reuse, but with all the parts all hammered like that, it's probably just a matter of time before something chips off and causes more damage.

I need to rebuild some LSD units soon (possibly this weekend), so I might be able to free up a replacement set.

Remind me...did you end up putting an open 4.363 diff in the truck temporarily?  Or is your truck down right now with this diff out?

• Like 1

Oo YES! I have had ALOT of fun with this pathy. One could say I have tried intentionally kill it. I have owned it for 10 years. Let’s just say I was 19 when I bought it. Put 60+ k miles on her.

I did swap the open diff in. That’s kept me going. Did a 1600 mile road trip across a 4 state 4 day mad dash. Where I had to use 4wd to get out of a sandy riverbed in the majove! Gears no matchy she wasn’t happy! But got us out !

I’d happily pay you shipping and some reasonable price for what where these retainer clip? Things are called.

My next plan was to attempt to tig weld material back on. Haven’t thought about filler material. SS - 40**- silicon bronze. Might do it to the carrier body. Haven’t thought about heat from welding in the steel causing hardening yet.

Might not be a good plan. But I am cheap...