Start of my 1999 Infiniti Qx4 build

Samdidit

Well here’s the challenge! How expensive is it really to start 4x4in?!! Well I posed that exact question and decided to try and find the answer. So through a close connection( my dad) I got my hands on a 1999 Infiniti QX4! A fine automobile!!

So I started doing some research on budget 4x4 mods to do to my interesting new project and found a few. So to start I got on google and found 2.5 inch lift spacers for $162.99. Then got on to offer up because I figured if I’m lifting it I’m gonna need bigger tires! Right? So I found a used set of 265/75r16 Toyo mud Terrain that are at about half life. Paid $100 for them and was pretty happy with that. Then I decided to hit OfferUp again looking for a off road bumper for this rig because before I got it it was in a front end collision. Found one but was for a Yj Jeep. Gonna have to do some modding but so far it looks like it will fit nicely with a little massaging. And then I had a thought.” What’s a 4x4 if you cant see where you are going? Time to look for a light bar.” Got on amazon and after some research I found a 33000 lumen 52inch light bar that I thought would look and work awesome for my application. So I ordered it! As I was sitting there thinking about what else a man might need if he is stuck in the wilderness. Then it dawned on me. A good old fashioned CB radio, if your broke down you can radio for help or if your just checking in with a buddy a little ways down the trail from you either way a very useful tool! So I’m working on installing all my new toys and will come back on and update and upload some pics as progress is made! Thanks for reading!

Sam

1999 qx4

10361DE4-EDCD-445F-866C-19AC7CEE7198.jpeg

• Like 1

I’d suggest reading up on spacer lifts, and if you plan to do anything that might put a front wheel in the air, sell the spacer kit and opt for springs in the front and probably the rear as well. Spacers, by lifting on top of the strut, will put your cv axles at out of spec angles, whereas a spring lift is still contained by the strut and will not damage your CV axles. A spring lift in the rear will allow for better load bearing and handling at lifted height

Hey guys thanks for for the reply! I am aware of the issues with spacer lifts but I was hoping to rectify any camber issues with camber bolts which I here is pretty common for these. And yet again the idea is to get something somewhat off roadable for as little as possible. I’m hoping there’s problems so I can keep posting on here:)????????

Edited by Samdidit

7 minutes ago, Samdidit said:

Hey guys thanks for for the reply! I am aware of the issues with spacer lifts but I was hoping to rectify any camber issues with camber bolts which I here is pretty common for these. And yet again the idea is to get something somewhat off roadable for as little as possible. I’m hoping there’s problems so I can keep posting on here:)????????

either method of lift will likely need camber bolts. But unlike a spacer lift, lifting your front end with springs will not put your CV axles at angles that are known to destroy CV axles. I use to have a spacer lift. They ride like crap, caused my passenger axle to bind under throttle and when turning right, and I got off of them before I could blow up an axle going Offroad. I have a spring lift now and I love it. Rides better, is safer for my axles, and doesn’t sag under weight.

1 hour ago, PathyDude17 said:

either method of lift will likely need camber bolts. But unlike a spacer lift, lifting your front end with springs will not put your CV axles at angles that are known to destroy CV axles. I use to have a spacer lift. They ride like crap, caused my passenger axle to bind under throttle and when turning right, and I got off of them before I could blow up an axle going Offroad. I have a spring lift now and I love it. Rides better, is safer for my axles, and doesn’t sag under weight.

What kind of springs are you running?

40 minutes ago, Samdidit said:

What kind of springs are you running?

AC coils from 4x4parts.com. The other, more popular option is OME HD lift springs. Do your research on which one would suit your needs best, or stick with spacers and know the potential problems

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

I was running 2" of spacers when I first got my rig and broke a total of 3 CV axles before ditching them in favor of springs. Not a single problem since. Camber bolts will not correct CV axle angle with a spacer lift.

We stress this because its all too often the spacer lift is seen as the first choice due to the initial cost. In the end its far more expensive to deal with a broken CV axle+spacers than the initial cost of a set of springs. 

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 2