Sign in to follow this  
KiwiTerrano

The old boy - 2007 R51

So some of you guys have probably seen various posts about my old truck, a JDM 1997 Terrano 3.2 diesel. 

I was about to dump a whole lot of cash into it and spec it up for 4wding, but I've now gone a similar direction with a new vehicle and sold the Terrano

My father decided to upgrade his vehicle, and offered me his 2007 R51 V6 for a price I couldn't refuse. So this will be the new 4wd and will also be specced up to do trips with the Canterbury Land Rover Owners Club. 

During his ownership my father added a 2" lift with King springs, so that's already done.

So far I have added the UHF CB and dashcam from the Terrano, bolted on a set of front recovery points, got a rear recovery hitch, fitted a snorkel, made a sump skidplate from 5 mm steel tread plate, transferred all my recovery gear, fitted a 1.5 kg fire extinguisher, snorkel, spark arrestor and lastly, a set of 255/85r16 BFG KM2 tyres on OEM Nissan whpeels. 

At the moment I'm pretty keen just to get out and drive it on some club trips. I've got one planned over the Waikaia Bush Rd for the 28th. As my father has had it from new I've already put some serious bush miles on it, but it's always good to get out.

OLohmQG.jpg

82Niyx5.jpg

jAG1unZ.jpgfAdHPnF.jpg

That's next to a 265/65r17 all terrain, Goodride SL369 

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1

Good choice on the skinny tires!

I'm wondering, were there any reasons you chose the R51 over your R50 other than money?

12 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Good choice on the skinny tires!

I'm wondering, were there any reasons you chose the R51 over your R50 other than money?

Way faster, smoother, quieter, safer, more spacious and lower mileage than my r50. 

Only downside really is that it has independent rear suspension. If it proves too limiting I may get a local outfit to swap in the solid rear axle from a d40 navara which should allow me to maintain the stability and traction control. 

• Like 1

Independent suspension is a lot more capable than people give it credit for, especially when modified so I doubt it'll give ya too much trouble, but if so good to know you aready have some ideas brewing!

I can't remember if that year has the issue, but if so has an auxillary transmission cooler been installed to avoid the SMOD?

7 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Independent suspension is a lot more capable than people give it credit for, especially when modified so I doubt it'll give ya too much trouble, but if so good to know you aready have some ideas brewing!

I can't remember if that year has the issue, but if so has an auxillary transmission cooler been installed to avoid the SMOD?

My father and I bypassed the in radiator transmission cooler lines at only 30,000 kms. It has a factory transmission cooler which is a very decent size.

Yes I don't expect too many problems. My biggest fear is destroying a CV.

Problem is that your truck is more reliable than the Rovers, at least here in the US anyway, not sure how the club will accept that. I doubt you will have issues with the CVs, they are pretty robust and as long as the boots are intact, can take a lot of abuse. I have seen more problems with wheel bearings than with the CV.

• Like 1

Well, I have now fitted up the BFGs and taken it out for a good weekend trip. Pleased to report it all went well and the truck performed flawlessly. I did have to adjust the front fender liner slightly with the help of an angle grinder but it still looks pretty factory. Only rubbed on the top of the liner when I bottomed it out at the front.

Eb0ExJq.jpg

6D1hqcr.jpg

yEXnv8O.jpg

• Like 3

Well, after the last trip the front shocks are toast. Unsurprising really, given they're the factory originals, have done nearly 200,000 km, and they've had 2" lift springs in them for over 50,000 km now. Fitting a heavier wheel/tyre combo finished them off I think.

I shall hopefully be replacing them with this kit...

https://www.performancesuspension.com.au/nissan-navara-d40-bilstein-3-lift-kit-long-travel

With these rear subframe spacers to match the lift.

https://www.performancesuspension.com.au/nissan-pathfinder-r51-rear-crossmember-spacer-lift

In the next few months I also plan to fit an XROX bullbar, hopefully some sliders too, and eventually get a custom rear bar made that will replace the OEM rear chassis crossmember and have a tyre carrier and winch incorporated. It will also get a rear locker. Then it will be finished, and damn near unstoppable I think. Should have about 350 mm clearance front and rear with 3" front and 4" rear down travel plus factory uptravel from my calculations. Not a flex monster but should be a beast in muddy ruts.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1

Sounds like a pretty good setup you've got planned!

• Like 1