The old boy - 2007 R51

KiwiTerrano

So some of you guys have probably seen various posts about my old truck, a JDM 1997 Terrano 3.2 diesel. 

I was about to dump a whole lot of cash into it and spec it up for 4wding, but I've now gone a similar direction with a new vehicle and sold the Terrano

My father decided to upgrade his vehicle, and offered me his 2007 R51 V6 for a price I couldn't refuse. So this will be the new 4wd and will also be specced up to do trips with the Canterbury Land Rover Owners Club. 

During his ownership my father added a 2" lift with King springs, so that's already done.

So far I have added the UHF CB and dashcam from the Terrano, bolted on a set of front recovery points, got a rear recovery hitch, fitted a snorkel, made a sump skidplate from 5 mm steel tread plate, transferred all my recovery gear, fitted a 1.5 kg fire extinguisher, snorkel, spark arrestor and lastly, a set of 255/85r16 BFG KM2 tyres on OEM Nissan whpeels. 

At the moment I'm pretty keen just to get out and drive it on some club trips. I've got one planned over the Waikaia Bush Rd for the 28th. As my father has had it from new I've already put some serious bush miles on it, but it's always good to get out.

OLohmQG.jpg

82Niyx5.jpg

jAG1unZ.jpgfAdHPnF.jpg

That's next to a 265/65r17 all terrain, Goodride SL369 

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Good choice on the skinny tires!

I'm wondering, were there any reasons you chose the R51 over your R50 other than money?

Way faster, smoother, quieter, safer, more spacious and lower mileage than my r50. 

Only downside really is that it has independent rear suspension. If it proves too limiting I may get a local outfit to swap in the solid rear axle from a d40 navara which should allow me to maintain the stability and traction control. 

• Like 2

Independent suspension is a lot more capable than people give it credit for, especially when modified so I doubt it'll give ya too much trouble, but if so good to know you aready have some ideas brewing!

I can't remember if that year has the issue, but if so has an auxillary transmission cooler been installed to avoid the SMOD?

7 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Independent suspension is a lot more capable than people give it credit for, especially when modified so I doubt it'll give ya too much trouble, but if so good to know you aready have some ideas brewing!

I can't remember if that year has the issue, but if so has an auxillary transmission cooler been installed to avoid the SMOD?

My father and I bypassed the in radiator transmission cooler lines at only 30,000 kms. It has a factory transmission cooler which is a very decent size.

Yes I don't expect too many problems. My biggest fear is destroying a CV.

Problem is that your truck is more reliable than the Rovers, at least here in the US anyway, not sure how the club will accept that. I doubt you will have issues with the CVs, they are pretty robust and as long as the boots are intact, can take a lot of abuse. I have seen more problems with wheel bearings than with the CV.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have now fitted up the BFGs and taken it out for a good weekend trip. Pleased to report it all went well and the truck performed flawlessly. I did have to adjust the front fender liner slightly with the help of an angle grinder but it still looks pretty factory. Only rubbed on the top of the liner when I bottomed it out at the front.

Eb0ExJq.jpg

6D1hqcr.jpg

yEXnv8O.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after the last trip the front shocks are toast. Unsurprising really, given they're the factory originals, have done nearly 200,000 km, and they've had 2" lift springs in them for over 50,000 km now. Fitting a heavier wheel/tyre combo finished them off I think.

I shall hopefully be replacing them with this kit...

https://www.performancesuspension.com.au/nissan-navara-d40-bilstein-3-lift-kit-long-travel

With these rear subframe spacers to match the lift.

https://www.performancesuspension.com.au/nissan-pathfinder-r51-rear-crossmember-spacer-lift

In the next few months I also plan to fit an XROX bullbar, hopefully some sliders too, and eventually get a custom rear bar made that will replace the OEM rear chassis crossmember and have a tyre carrier and winch incorporated. It will also get a rear locker. Then it will be finished, and damn near unstoppable I think. Should have about 350 mm clearance front and rear with 3" front and 4" rear down travel plus factory uptravel from my calculations. Not a flex monster but should be a beast in muddy ruts.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, KiwiTerrano said:

Have just ordered an XROX bullbar. Watch this space...

Looking forward to seeing that installed. What's the ETA with lockdown and all?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jtchal said:

Looking forward to seeing that installed. What's the ETA with lockdown and all?

12 weeks... not great, but should have it done by next spring haha. 

Definitely needs it, just about removed the factory front bumper on the last club trip.

I do like the look of it

https://images.app.goo.gl/7V9N6ZxA8NCWrXsAA

Will also have a chat with a certifier once the lockdown is over and see if I can get this kit okayed... would love another few inches of down travel in the front, it's pretty crap currently. 

https://www.performancesuspension.com.au/nissan-navara-d40-bilstein-3-front-lift-kit

Edited by KiwiTerrano

Niggly wait... But it will all be worth it, that bumper looks good on both R51 & R50 pathfinders!

Only issue with the diesel R50's is the location of the intercooler and washer bottles/pump...

You getting it from Opposite Lock?

You'll probably need to certify the lift kit since it's greater than 2", keen to see what he says though.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, jtchal said:

Niggly wait... But it will all be worth it, that bumper looks good on both R51 & R50 pathfinders!

Only issue with the diesel R50's is the location of the intercooler and washer bottles/pump...

You getting it from Opposite Lock?

You'll probably need to certify the lift kit since it's greater than 2", keen to see what he says though.

Lift will require certification as its height adjustable coilovers with adjustable upper control arms. I also have 33s which are >5% oversize and front 20 mm wheel spacers so my 16" alloys will clear the front calipers. So needs certifying for 4 reasons.

I actually plan on keeping the lift at 2" as I still have over 300 mm of clearance front and

rear as it sits with the old 2" kit. I won't be changing the rear at all. I prefer decent wheel travel over maximum clearance.

So anyhow, my order with XROX is confirmed. Will also be fitting a Runva XP11 Premium winch, and the long travel coilover kit above. Just need some sliders to replace my ruined running boards and then we're good!

Sounds like it's gonna finish up nicely, should be a great touring rig! The R51, or really anything with independent suspension, is largely overlooked in the States and it's a shame, with a good driver and a few mods even an IFS/IRS rig can get awesome places.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went for a bit of a run after lockdown with a few others from the Land Rover Owners club (not exclusive to the make). A good day out and certainly got to put the Pathy through its paces!

Still waiting on all my parts lol. Can't wait to get the front suspension sorted, the downtravel is pretty crap at the moment.

https://youtu.be/kUgxi9RcqT4

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went for a proper run on some private land out at Thomson's Flat with the Land Rover club this weekend.

Pathfinder went fairly well on the 33s, better than my old terrano on the same ground.

Much like the terrano though, I caught the rear bumper on the exact same obstacle and had to remove it. Not much holding it onto the r51! Just two bolts and a few screws plus clips down the sides.

I also got a bit brave and completely destroyed the right side step on a big tree root. Unfortunately I got stuck on it and had to get towed off backwards. This cause the front mount on the side step to get rotated, which in turn damaged the wiring loom to the back of the truck. It completely cut the wire to the fuel pump, and blew the fuse too.

Had to do some Bush wiring to get the truck going again! And replace the fuse.

Thankfully it drove home as it would have been a long slow tow down the river out (several kms down a rough riverbed) and then a trailer home from there.

So, a few mods to come.

Bullbar and winch are here, just need to fit them.

Then I need sliders and a new rear bar too.

And front suspension. 

Also need to do the dual battery setup and fit a new airbox.

Time and money...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Pics time! Got the bullbar, winch, driving lights, foglights and new UHF antenna installed.

zmMFi8a.jpeg

igeTJdM.jpeg

H3HXiSc.jpeg

My other car (Subaru Omega touring wagon, or the NZ version of the GL/Loyale with the rear raised roof)

jG2FHkJ.jpeg

Don't mind the dent in the fender... that was part of the carnage from Lake Daniels... along with ripping off both bumpers, destroying the right side step, and cutting the fuel pump wire getting towed off a root... remind me why I go 4wding again...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Your ride is coming along nicely!  As for your reminder, we do these things because of our love for outdoor adventures, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun playing an off-road game while sitting on the couch!  Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted up my 33" spare - 255/75r17 to match my 255/85r16 tyres. Also a BFG MT.

Only JUST fitted - very tight. Had to let it down to about 4 PSI. Would have gone in more easily if the towbar was just a little further out. I think my bar must differ from US spec ones as some here have fitted 33" spares no worries.

In case you're wondering, the factory Nissan towbar is incredibly strong. I broke a Toyota towbar in half at the tongue weld when doing a moderate recovery with an 8 ton snatch strap... and yes, I removed the ball and replaced it with a shackle.

ZFWuQpM.jpg

Also went on a fun evening trip with the Land Rover club down at the Ashley River. 18 vehicles. I was the only Nissan. Lots of slippery mud and a few nice off camber bits and ruts.

aNExEyC.jpg

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

200,000 km service today.

Spark plugs replaced

Oil and filter

Transfer case drained and refilled

New front struts (Bilstein 5100 with adjustable perch). Old shocks were OEM which at 200 thou were pretty stuffed and not up to it with the bullbar on.

Rear shocks were replaced when the lift springs went in 50,000 kms ago.

BWSVOr4.jpg

I will also need to fit extended upper ball joints (available from PSR in aussie) as that upper angle is bad...

AgMgeRl.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...