LED lights

joshboy22

I have had good results with Hikari LED bulbs in my Sorento and the Sealight 9004 conversion units in my 93 Pathfinder are working well. Haven't had people flashing their lights at me and for me, I get better visibility. I did notice more glare back at me in snowstorms than I did with the halogens, but I simply turn off the headlights and run the Amber fog lights when the snow fall is too heavy. Both of the light sets were about $40 US on Amazon. 

sont get LED youll have a better time with sylvania ultras 

I can vouch for the ultras. You might also have a look see at the high output “off-road only” bulbs. If you have your headlight housings aimed correctly then no one will know you have “illegal” bulbs. Besides some of these new vehicles (2019 Silverado!!!) have headlights that are at least triple the lux that our old halogens produce. That and they’re only $3-5 each..
  • Like 1

I tried the Ultras a few times. They were great at first, but I found for me, I only got about 1 year out of them before failure. That was in my 93 Pathy, 04 Sorento, and 10 Altima(back when it was new, car was 6 months old when I swapped bulbs and found the Ultras were not noticeably brighter than the stock ones, so when one died 9 months later, put the factory ones back in.  For the record, those Ultras in all 3 cost about $60 per pair for me. Just too expensive for the performance I got out of them. Just my personal experience that I have had, your results can be different.

You R50 folks have better headlights and wiring for them than us old WD21 guys, so you  wont see as much difference, but a good pair of LEDs will make a big difference and these days they are built much better and have patterns that very closely match the halogens. 

2 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

I tried the Ultras a few times. They were great at first, but I found for me, I only got about 1 year out of them before failure. That was in my 93 Pathy, 04 Sorento, and 10 Altima(back when it was new, car was 6 months old when I swapped bulbs and found the Ultras were not noticeably brighter than the stock ones, so when one died 9 months later, put the factory ones back in.  For the record, those Ultras in all 3 cost about $60 per pair for me. Just too expensive for the performance I got out of them. Just my personal experience that I have had, your results can be different.

You R50 folks have better headlights and wiring for them than us old WD21 guys, so you  wont see as much difference, but a good pair of LEDs will make a big difference and these days they are built much better and have patterns that very closely match the halogens. 

yeah but my buddy has had multiple pairs of LED lights in his IS350 and every time he says theyre good but theyre just not as good as he would hoped even after aiming them. He got the ultras and was impress by them. Granted his stock bulbs were like somehow worse then stock but thats that. And I dont have any in my car since its not road worthy yet so no point now but in my Armada they are pretty nice.But I guess this is just proof that different people have different experiences with products lol

Edited by Strato_54

For what it's worth, these are the only LED replacement bulbs I have found that perform better than conventional halogen 9004/9007 incandescent bulbs:

https://headlightrevolution.com/9007-9004-gtr-lighting-ultra-2/

None of the  other LED replacements seem to get the  chips in the right place for 9004/9007 reflectors, and I have seen horrible results with any/all of the sub-$120 LED replacements for 9004/9007.

And, those GTR bulbs are pretty spendy.

In my opinion, a pair of higher efficiency bulbs or higher wattage bulbs and a relay upgrade are much more financially sensible (as several other guys already mentioned).

Edited by Teddy
Inserted link for LED bulb URI
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, joshboy22 said:

Anyone replaced the headlight bulbs with LEDs? I'm looking to do so and hoping to only spend around $40 cdn. Any help/ info would be awesome. 

Thanks everyone!

What are you attempting to achieve by replacing the headlights with inexpensive LED bulbs? Do you just want to reduce the electrical load on the headlight circuit? Do you want better lighting of the roadway ahead? Just going for a "cool" look?

IMO, if you don't care about lighting the roadway ahead of you, just about any set of cheap LED bulbs will do. Just pick what color temperature you want. If you want reliable, long-lasting bulbs that will provide good light distribution on the road (instead of just random glare), you should bite the bullet and spend a little more money on bulbs such as the ones mentioned above by GTR lighting. I have a set of the GTR lighting LED bulbs in my Sequoia, and they are very good. (My R50 has HID projectors, so no LED for me.)

XPLORx4:   I am so jealous that you have the Japanese projectors. They are sooooo much better than the SAE reflectors that North America got.

I am going to add some kind of aux lights to try to assist my factory headlights.