Need help with A/C compressor oil viscosity discrepancies

RCWD21

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've been on here and I've got a question hopefully someone knows! 

Ok so my high pressure line on my ac system burst from age (and possibly an improper r12 to 134a refrigerant conversion from a previous owner). I'm taking this opportunity to retrofit a full r134a system (from a 94) in place of the clicking r12 compressor and old lines. What I'm having a hard time finding out specifically is which oil is the correct oil? Sites like rockauto and even remanned units on ebay say PAG-46 BUT online sites like 4seasons and techchoice plus are saying the oil should be PAG-100. Which should I go with? I dont want to take out a new expansion valve and possibly clog a condenser or ruin a rubber line again. 

20191212_230126.jpg

Screenshot_20191212-230229_Chrome.jpg

This is a little connecting-the-dots, but I'd be certain it's PAG-100, too.  This is based on a few things:

1. NTB96-023a, which is the Nissan TSB for converting from R-12 to R-134a (Link) lists 86-92 D21 as using the ZEXEL DKV-14C compressor and requiring "Nissan A/C System Oil Type R" (p/n KVH00-PAGR0), with the "R" being for rotary vane compressors.  "Type S" is for swash plate compressors.
  2. The 1994 WD21 FSM says it uses the same DKV-14C compressor and Type R oil, and also confirms that the model type is "vane rotary" (pg. HA-116)
  3. This (pg. 1, #70) and this (pg. 13) and this (under Infiniti Zekel DKV-14C) and this (as Zekel DKV) and a few others show as using PAG-100.

Notably, the Four Seasons 58440 compressor is vane-style compressor that specifically uses PAG-46 according to the 4s website.  Same seems true with other aftermarket replacements.  But at least per the internet, it seemed largely that "Zekel DKV" compressors use PAG-100. The real question now is if your 94 donor compressor is OE.

A few months ago I did a R-134a conversion on a 91 Land Cruiser.  Finding good information was a joke.  I eventually found a Toyota TSB that spelled most of it out, but still left me with a ton of questions.  I had to do the same stupid OEM name vs PAG-equivalent look-up, so I totally feel your pain here.

https://ibb.co/KNj7nF5
https://ibb.co/44P131D

These are the only stickers left on the compressor. The square sticker that has all the info is long gone. From my reading it appears to be a Calsonic NVR140S but the sticker on the clutch makes me think it's a different model.

I'm 99% sure that the donor vehicle had factory air. 

Hmm. Well, for what it’s worth, I saw Diesel Kiki referenced with Zekel in a few places actually, including the 4th link I provided.  Perhaps it’s the DK of DKV?

Pg. 8, as "DIESEL KIKI (ZEKEL)": https://usermanual.wiki/Document/ACCOMPRESSOROILCHECKING.1759211196.pdf

Edited by hawairish

Well my compressor definitely matches the Calsonic NVR140S compressor. The other one looks physically different. 

**apparently the nvr140s and dkv-14c are the same thing? They look identical from what I can find but since the info sticker on my compressor is missing I might just go grab another unit with an intact sticker so I'll know for sure what compressor I have

And I've noticed the Diesel Kiki thing as well, I think they're the maker of the clutch assembly on these compressors.

Edited by RCWD21
Added info