Stopped after I hit a bump. Started after it got pulled

jjinks

I was driving my 95 4x4 Pathfinder XE V6 around town. Made multiple stop at various places. When I pulled into the gas station (hitting the drive way pretty hard)it shut off every thing except the head lights. When I turned the key to start it nothing happened. No dash board lights or clicks. But the head lights still worked. Some one came to pull my car with their truck and tow straps. As they began pulling in the slack on the strap, a strong jerk pulled my car. I had the key in the accessory position and all the dashboard lights came back on. I started the car up and drove it home. I have since started the car multiple times with no problem. I don’t want to drive the car until I can find something to fix. Can any one provide any information or help? Let me know if there is anything else I can provide. 

I have to go with Manik on that one.... I was thinking a relay at first but the truck would have started back up immediately if it was.... then only other things that are left really are the main ground strap or the fusible links. Main ground strap would have everything off no lights at all) but might be an easy diagnose: pull on the strap, if the other end comes off, there is your problem! The fusible links are easy to overlook as long as they keep passing current through them! Look for a mushy... uhh try.... "feel" for a mushy wire cover (probably the black one) on the fusible links. That will be your problem link ( if it has gotten overheated from running a lot of current for a while); replacements are available but you'll need to figure out which one it is and its amperage (which should be in the wiring diagrams of the Service Manual). Good luck!

Thank you for the responses. What I have found is that the bolts holding the fusible link to the battery terminal were pretty loose. I pulled them off and wire brushed it all. It has been good since then. The wires on the links seemed solid.  I hope that is what it was. It’s a little unnerving because I haven’t found anything super wrong. Some times it’s nice to find that one thing that is clearly broken and fix it. But it has been running pretty good since then.

• Like 1