R50 Windshield Wiper Arm replacement? SQUEAK.

mbailey802

Hey, 

Has anyone ever had luck replacing the wiper arm for the drivers side? Not the blade, and not the motor but the arm. 

My windshield always has a section that isn't getting wiped, and I've always had an awful squeak when using the wipers... I've tried 4 different blades, the WD 40 trick, vinegar wash trick, even a new windshield has been on and I would still get a squeak. Recently I was at my wits end and tried bending the arm a bit only to make the un wiped part worse, and we get tons of rain here in BC on the coast so I need to solve this issue asap.

The scrapper in squamish doesn't have the part, I did find one site in the states but I believe it will cost me around $120 CAD after shipping, customs, etc. Are there any generic brands that would fit? I've done tons of googling and calling auto stores to no avail.

Thanks,

Max

UPDATE: turns out components were broken in my wiper LINKAGE. I have ordered new parts, but am still confused on how I will detach and attach the new linkage to the wiper motor.... see video for reference.

• Like 1

I haven't had an R50 wiper linkage apart, but assuming it's like the WD21, unbolt the wiper motor. There should be some way to disconnect the linkage from it. It was a while ago that I did mine, IIRC it had a nut that let me remove the crank arm from the gearbox, but that was a while ago. Hopefully all becomes clear once you can see behind the motor. And hopefully that nut gives up easily, that sucks.

On 11/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, Slartibartfast said:

I haven't had an R50 wiper linkage apart, but assuming it's like the WD21, unbolt the wiper motor. There should be some way to disconnect the linkage from it. It was a while ago that I did mine, IIRC it had a nut that let me remove the crank arm from the gearbox, but that was a while ago. Hopefully all becomes clear once you can see behind the motor. And hopefully that nut gives up easily, that sucks.

Yup that was it! Totally blanked on removing the motor to get access... thanks!

Now the latest issue haha. The squeak is gone and the wipers work but I can't seem to get them positioned correctly. I've actually tried multiple starting positions for the arms (closer to hood, or higher up on windshield) and they always get pulled down way too far off the windshield glass and hit hard every time. Here is a video. Does anyone have any ideas? Seems like I will have to take everything apart again. Perhaps when I connected the new wiper linkage to the motor something wasn't set all the way to 'zero' if you will...