how to tell if brass screws on intake were fixed?

steve392

Ok so my family and I inherited my late uncles 2002 pathfinder.  This truck has sat in the driveway for nearly 7 plus years and never started.  I was able to get it started with a new battery and some fresh gas and it still runs just fine, minus the check engine light.  We are in the process of transfering over ownership so it can be insured and registered to my mother.  I am in the process of cleaning it up and getting it running better and changing filters, fluids, tires and whatever else I stumble across on the pathfinder facebook groups.  This one has me concerned the most.  I want to make sure it was either done by a dealership or I will have to do it.  I don't want to spend all the money on getting this truck running and roadworthy to then have the engine blow from a dropped screw.

Anyone able to help?

• Like 1

I'm gonna assume this is an automatic transmission?

If manual, no power valve screws.

If automatic, I know of no way to tell externally. Once you've done the work to see them, it's 30 more minutes to just replace the screws and loctite. You'll know the first one you try to remove if they were redone correctly.

If he was the type to take it to the dealer, call them with the VIN. They should be able to tell you. If you know the likely shop he might have used, you could try calling them. Otherwise you are pretty much out of luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How hard is removing the upper intake?  Im no mechanic but im pretty capable of doing some work on cars.  If I remove the intake, besides the brass screws is there anything else that should be done as preventative maintenance?

22 minutes ago, steve392 said:

How hard is removing the upper intake?  Im no mechanic but im pretty capable of doing some work on cars.  If I remove the intake, besides the brass screws is there anything else that should be done as preventative maintenance?

Depending on time and the amount of maintenance you need or want to do when the power valves screws are done its a great time to do-

- Knock sensor

- Spark plugs

- injectors/injector o-rings

- Thermostats ( there are 2)

- Intake coolant hose (buried under the intake) 

- valve cover gaskets

All of these require the intake manifold to be torn down.

glGbMUz.jpg

s1O66Rb.jpg

oBduOxo.jpg

2xVgojF.jpg?1

• Like 4

Ditto on all of the above.[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] gave me mechanical & psychologic counseling to get me through my Power Valve catastrophe. Given the CA Class action lawsuit (now expired & CA only anyway) plus the Altima TSB (& possibly Sentra TSBs), but no R50 TSB, I feel it’s safe to say that Nissan is not a reliable or trustworthy partner on this topic. I would probably use someone you trust or do it yourself.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/17104-threadlocker-on-power-valve-screws-pics/page-1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, RainGoat said:

Ditto on all of the above.[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] gave me mechanical & psychologic counseling to get me through my Power Valve catastrophe. Given the CA Class action lawsuit (now expired & CA only anyway) plus the Altima TSB (& possibly Sentra TSBs), but no R50 TSB, I feel it’s safe to say that Nissan is not a reliable or trustworthy partner on this topic. I would probably use someone you trust or do it yourself.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/17104-threadlocker-on-power-valve-screws-pics/page-1

dam photobucket!  

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to determine whether your valve covers are aluminum or plastic?  I don't understand why this wouldn't be something known dependent on engine and model year.  I mention this because this determines whether you can replace the spark plug o-rings or not, which means needing new valve covers if not.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, cham said:

Does anyone know how to determine whether your valve covers are aluminum or plastic?  I don't understand why this wouldn't be something known dependent on engine and model year.  I mention this because this determines whether you can replace the spark plug o-rings or not, which means needing new valve covers if not.

Take a picture. You should be able to tell by looking at them. The aluminum ones were on 01 and later q’s for sure 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, cham said:

I believe plastic is black and aluminum is silver, may be wrong on the color of the plastic ones.