Parking brake light won't turn off

jjonez

Lately my parking brake light will stay on after setting off.  Sometimes it will stay on for the duration of the drive, other times it will eventually turn off.  This happens maybe 50% of the time, the other half it turns off with the seatbelt light shortly after the engine turns over.

I've noticed that when working normally, unlike newer vehicles the seatbelt light and parking brake light seem to be independent of their respective components, i.e. the lights turn off even if the seatbelt isn't fastened and the parking brake is applied.  Does anyone know why then the parking brake light would stay on?

I'd check the switch first, could be it's just dirty/worn/needs adjusting. The switch for the e-brake light is towards the bottom of the handle assembly. You'll need to remove the center console to get to it. I remember mine was filthy the first time I had the interior apart. Also check that the wire going to the switch isn't pinched somewhere.

When I had the interior out of my '93, I cut and looped the wires going to the driver's seat belt buckle so it thinks the belt is always in. Could be the PO did that to yours, too, which is why that light doesn't work as expected. Mine doesn't come on key on/engine off with the e-brake light, not sure if that's a difference in the '93 cluster or if I pulled the bulb at some point.

• Like 1

Check the brake fluid. If it is near min it will turn on the light to warn you to have the brakes inspected. As the pads wear down, the fluid gets lower and the fluid level sensor is set to turn on the light when the pads require replacement. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 6:29 PM, Mr_Reverse said:

Check the brake fluid. If it is near min it will turn on the light to warn you to have the brakes inspected. As the pads wear down, the fluid gets lower and the fluid level sensor is set to turn on the light when the pads require replacement. 

Really?  Sounds like a fancy feature for an 80's truck.  The fluid level looks good, slightly below max.

On 11/10/2019 at 3:44 PM, Slartibartfast said:

I'd check the switch first, could be it's just dirty/worn/needs adjusting. The switch for the e-brake light is towards the bottom of the handle assembly. You'll need to remove the center console to get to it. I remember mine was filthy the first time I had the interior apart. Also check that the wire going to the switch isn't pinched somewhere.

When I had the interior out of my '93, I cut and looped the wires going to the driver's seat belt buckle so it thinks the belt is always in. Could be the PO did that to yours, too, which is why that light doesn't work as expected. Mine doesn't come on key on/engine off with the e-brake light, not sure if that's a difference in the '93 cluster or if I pulled the bulb at some point.

I removed the center console to find that the switch harness had been disconnected by the previous owner, which explains why it wouldn't turn on when pulling the brake with key in, engine on.  I cleaned up the switch and ground and put everything back together and it worked!  Turned on and off as it should when the parking brake is pulled.  For 5 minutes...

Shortly into the drive the light came on and stayed on no matter how I fiddled with the brake.  The only thing i can think of is something related to the ignition.  With ignition on engine off, all the dash lights are on, right?  And when you start the engine they all turn off unless they receive a signal otherwise.  So maybe the brake light somehow gets stuck in "ignition on engine off" mode?  What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Try unplugging the switch on the brake master cylinder. If the light turns off, then the switch is stuck. 

Or you can follow the wire from the park brake switch until you find the short to ground. 

I'll give this a try, thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just to follow up.  The rubber boot on the inside of the brake master cylinder reservoir cap was folded over funny and was pushing on the switch in the reservoir.  I set the boot straight and it's been fine

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Son of a....
That's the problem I've been having, and I took my cap off other day and noticed the rubber seal was all &*(%ed.
It's folder over like someone put the cap on off kilter and crushed the rubber.
Well atleast now I know how to get that light to turn off, Now I just need a new cap.

• Like 1