PathyGig12’s Build Thread

PathyGig12

33 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Colorado has so many nice places to visit. Given your altitude, what’s the effective season there? Ours is June - mid October though some trails will take until July to be clear of snow.

From what I’ve seen on the trails off-road website for Colorado trails over the past few years, as well as just personal experience, the season is pretty much the same as yours. Most of the nice scenic trails take until end of June to be fully passable, and stay open until the end of October depending on how early it snows. Usually I don’t plan to be on anything high altitude until mid July but this year it’s been hot. Some trails below 10,000 are fine as early as the middle of may, just depends 

• Like 1

Yesterday I started getting a massive grinding noise and while braking, so I looked around thinking it just be something caught in the dust shield. Nope, nothing fell out when prying on it.

The rotor looked fine on the outside but inside the wheel I noticed chunks of steel. Uh oh.

Took the hub apart and the whole backside of the rotor was shredded, the inside pad had worn down to the backing plate and was grinding. Turns out the culprit was a seized caliper pin that had rusted into place because moisture got into the cracked boot. I slapped some new pads and a new rotor in but I’m waiting on the reman calipers to be delivered later in the week. It’ll be fine for a while but if left alone the same thing will eventually happen again. And I figure the other side probably isn’t far behind so it’s worth changing both. 

Tomorrow night the new steering rack goes on, and I’ll get it aligned shortly after. I’ll update the thread as to whether my steering shimmy goes away, fingers crossed

GDGldY7.jpg

rDgm6hR.jpg

EyUCHDj.jpg

Check your transfer gear box, aka intermediate gear box. its an angled gear box that the shaft from the steering wheel goes into before the secondary shafts that exits it goes to the rack n pinion itself. On my low mileage 03, its loose and has play, so even with new rotors etc. I'll get a shimmy and clunk noise, especially under hard brake or parking lot maneuvers.

32 minutes ago, BattleWagon said:

Check your transfer gear box, aka intermediate gear box. its an angled gear box that the shaft from the steering wheel goes into before the secondary shafts that exits it goes to the rack n pinion itself. On my low mileage 03, its loose and has play, so even with new rotors etc. I'll get a shimmy and clunk noise, especially under hard brake or parking lot maneuvers.

Interesting! I’ll have to take a closer look at it.

Right now my working theory is that a lot of the play was coming from the stuck caliper and resulting imbalance in the pad wear causing a wobble in the rotor. And the worn out rack was allowing that play to transfer to the steering system in a more dramatic way. 

Anyway, I’m putting on the new calipers Monday night, and I’ll throw in the other side pads and rotor to match the new driver side just so everything is even. 

May or may not paint them red and pencil on “Brembo” for @!*%s and gigs....TBD

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @PathyGig12! Sweet post, I'm in the middle of getting all my parts for my AC+9449 Lift. I have a couple questions regarding OEM parts and where you got them, I didn't see links for the parts while skimming through but I'd love if you could give some links for the Strut Mounts, Bearings, Bump Stops, ETC. Thank You!

p.s. are you apart of other forums in Facebook so I may contact you easier?

Hey [mention=42600]PathyGig12[/mention]! Sweet post, I'm in the middle of getting all my parts for my AC+9449 Lift. I have a couple questions regarding OEM parts and where you got them, I didn't see links for the parts while skimming through but I'd love if you could give some links for the Strut Mounts, Bearings, Bump Stops, ETC. Thank You!

p.s. are you apart of other forums in Facebook so I may contact you easier?

Google a part number & alot of options will pop up. Google even tells you on a bunch of them if they are no tax or free shipping. I frequently switch my source based on who has the cheapest price, shipping & no tax. And if course there’s RockAuto with their ever present 5% off. DesertRat.com is another reliable source & my preference over 4WheelParts whom I try to avoid. I try to give 4x4parts.com (AC) as little business as possible as their shipping is obscene. Here are 3 examples of parts searches:

OEM Replacement Parts
Strut Bearing [54325-5V000] $48.54=$24.27x2
Spring Seat [54034-0W000] $45.42=$22.71x2
Bellows & Bump Stop [54050-0W002] $38.86=$19.43x2
Did NOT use: Upper Seat Rubber Bumper (NOT rubber) $22.50=$11.25x2
$173.17 ($155.32+$17.85s) infinitipartsdeal.com

ENGINE
Gaskets $89.36
Upper Seal [54034-0W000] $53.36($26.68 x2)
Upper Insulator Bearing [54325-5V000] $45.16($22.58 x2)
Thermostat [21200-4W01B] $21.32
Gasket [16175-4W000] $4.33
Plenum Gasket [14033-4W000] $5.15
Plenum Gasket [14033-4W010] $11.88
Valve Cover Gasket [13270-8J102] $14.63
Valve Cover Gasket [13270-8J112] $15.39
Engine Intake Manifold Gasket [14032-4W00A] $34.80
Thermostat Gasket [13050-31U00] $4.31
Water Valve [21230-6N20A] $12.44
$238.75($222.77+$15.98s)@Arizona Infiniti Parts www.arizonainfinitiparts.com

SUSPENSION
FRONT:
KYB Excel-G Strut, Front Left, 4WD [335033] $57.79
KYB Excel-G Strut, Front Right, 4WD [335032] $57.79
KYB Strut Bellow [sB129] $21.60($10.80 x2)
Moog Stabilizer Bar End Link / Bushing, Rear 4WD [K80435] $34.84($17.42x2)
Moog Stabilizer Bar End Link / Bushing, Front [K90659] $34.64($17.32x2)
$ 263.50($ -$10.33 5% Discount+$42.99s+$24.18t)@RockAuto
  • Like 1