Most common issues

mandersen8

Look for rust in the frame over the rear axle. Rust in the floor under the back seat and driver's floor. 

Manual trans needs fluid over fill to prevent input shaft bearing issues. 

The throttle body injection is not great and parts are hard to get any more. 

6 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Look for rust in the frame over the rear axle. Rust in the floor under the back seat and driver's floor. 

Manual trans needs fluid over fill to prevent input shaft bearing issues. 

How do I look for the Trans Issue and Throttle body injection issue with out dismantling? 

Best thing is to test drive. If the truck is running poorly, or making squeeling or grinding noises, you are likely to have some issues that can be expensive. If running good and driving well, shouldn't be a big worry. Many shops offer a prepurchase inspection service and most sellers won't have an issue letting you have the inspection done. A seller that does have a problem letting you take it to a shop for an independent inspection is hiding something and not to be trusted. 

Like with all used cars, service and maintenance records are nice. The timing belt used in the 1987-1993 early production V6 was a 60k mile belt. 

Unless the truck was well maintained and treated well, after 30 years, you can expect a lot of work is going to be needed. 

Check the lower control arm compression rod mounts on the frame. They wallow out the metal. Easily fixed (but a pain in the ass) if you own a welder.   I've never really had a hard time finding any part in store or online or through junk yard for my 1989. 

Look up "fS5R30A TSB", it's for the transmission info.  There is a picture of the drain plugs to compare. Unless they had the trans case replaced at some point, it will have the lower fill plug that won't fill it enough. To see if it's had the proper amount of oil with the lower fill hole, just pull the fill plug and if a quart of trans oil comes out they had it filled correctly.  To fill it, easiest way is to remove the shifter and fill it to what the TSB says. I think it's 5.1 liters 

How much should a 4x4 with a 3"body lift, sunroof front and rear tube bumpers, interior a bit ruff but run great they installed a push start as well Cost?

32 minutes ago, Backpacker said:

Check the lower control arm compression rod mounts on the frame. They wallow out the metal. Easily fixed (but a pain in the ass) if you own a welder.   I've never really had a hard time finding any part in store or online or through junk yard for my 1989. 

Look up "fS5R30A TSB", it's for the transmission info.  There is a picture of the drain plugs to compare. Unless they had the trans case replaced at some point, it will have the lower fill plug that won't fill it enough. To see if it's had the proper amount of oil with the lower fill hole, just pull the fill plug and if a quart of trans oil comes out they had it filled correctly.  To fill it, easiest way is to remove the shifter and fill it to what the TSB says. I think it's 5.1 liters 

38 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Just looked at your location info, if it is a local truck for you there in California, a passing emissions test will tell you that the fuel system is working properly. 

I bought my 88 pathfinder brand new and still own it today.  Look for rust under the hood near the vapor canister and ignition coil area.  Also I had to replace the power steering high pressure hose twice over the last 31 years.  Oil pressure switch is most likely the cause of most oil leaks, it is simple to replace.  Front disc replacement is a big pain since you need to repack the hubs when you replace them.  My 88 is a standard shift so I have to replace the clutch twice, not bad for 31 years of uses.  Also look for rust on the door near the windows weather strips, it seems water likes to sit there and eat at the metal.  I have a 2 door pathfinder, I do not see many of them around and I usually get offers on it monthly even though I do not have it for sale.  I did convert the old R12 A/C to the R34 system.  Pretty simple to do, only cost me $325 in parts from RockAuto.  I wish I had a better cool air intake system for it but I happy with how it still drives.  Weekend fun machine now.

18 minutes ago, chen2761 said:

I bought my 88 pathfinder brand new and still own it today.  Look for rust under the hood near the vapor canister and ignition coil area.  Also I had to replace the power steering high pressure hose twice over the last 31 years.  Oil pressure switch is most likely the cause of most oil leaks, it is simple to replace.  Front disc replacement is a big pain since you need to repack the hubs when you replace them.  My 88 is a standard shift so I have to replace the clutch twice, not bad for 31 years of uses.  Also look for rust on the door near the windows weather strips, it seems water likes to sit there and eat at the metal.  I have a 2 door pathfinder, I do not see many of them around and I usually get offers on it monthly even though I do not have it for sale.  I did convert the old R12 A/C to the R34 system.  Pretty simple to do, only cost me $325 in parts from RockAuto.  I wish I had a better cool air intake system for it but I happy with how it still drives.  Weekend fun machine now.

So cool that you're an original owner!  How many miles now?  What were the most expensive/difficult fixes you had to do?  Cool that people like your truck.  Where I'm from I've had maybe two compliments the three years I've owned my '87, and she's a peach compared to most vehicles half her age!  Oh well, I kind of like the fact that it's very rare and under the radar compared to similar Toyotas.

8 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

7 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Just looked at your location info, if it is a local truck for you there in California, a passing emissions test will tell you that the fuel system is working properly. 

What kind of issues to look out for with the TBI?  So far mine has been good except for having to replace the cylinder head temp sensor which was causing weird running conditions and random stalling.

I'm in CA too and so far was able to pass emissions.  And that was with a rusted out air induction valve filter.  That got replaced later, but I ended up pulling it off when I saw moisture collecting in the new one within weeks.  So now it will just go back on come testing time.

Mine came with a long service history, but I think a lot of it was the guy wouldn't say no to things that mechanics said needed to be done during routine maintenance.  I don't think I remember seeing anything relating to the TBI that had to be fixed.

Edited by jjonez

3 hours ago, jjonez said:

What kind of issues to look out for with the TBI?  So far mine has been good except for having to replace the cylinder head temp sensor which was causing weird running conditions and random stalling.

I'm in CA too and so far was able to pass emissions.  And that was with a rusted out air induction valve filter.  That got replaced later, but I ended up pulling it off when I saw moisture collecting in the new one within weeks.  So now it will just go back on come testing time.

Mine came with a long service history, but I think a lot of it was the guy wouldn't say no to things that mechanics said needed to be done during routine maintenance.  I don't think I remember seeing anything relating to the TBI that had to be fixed.

How much should I spend on a 88 this guy is asking for 1500

11 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

How much would you spend on a 88 with about 170k on it clock? 

If it seems to be driving well, has a steady idle, no drama getting it started, 4x4 works, no major rust, no transmission whine, then $1500 I'd say is reasonable.  I paid $2800 for my '87 and it seemed like a steal given it had only 125k miles, same owner since 1991, excellent paint and zero rust.

I might pay $1500, but most people accept a few hundred less than they're asking so it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by jjonez

On 11/10/2019 at 8:17 AM, jjonez said:

If it seems to be driving well, has a steady idle, no drama getting it started, 4x4 works, no major rust, no transmission whine, then $1500 I'd say is reasonable.  I paid $2800 for my '87 and it seemed like a steal given it had only 125k miles, same owner since 1991, excellent paint and zero rust.

I might pay $1500, but most people accept a few hundred less than they're asking so it doesn't hurt to try.

Are you on any of the facebook groups? I can send you pictures the guy send me so you can see them I can seem to get them on here.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:17 AM, jjonez said:

Also where are you in California? Want to go wheel our 02 pathys sometime?

That would be great!  I'm in San Diego and definitely don't go wheeling enough.  Mine mostly end up getting used for getting me up to the mountains for snowboarding.

I'm not on Facebook.  Try using an image hosting site like imgur or you can use Google photos to create a link to an image.  When typing a post click the paperclip icon up above to insert a link.  For example

Edited by jjonez

That would be great!  I'm in San Diego and definitely don't go wheeling enough.  Mine mostly end up getting used for getting me up to the mountains for snowboarding.

I'm not on Facebook.  Try using an image hosting site like imgur or you can use Google photos to create a link to an image.  When typing a post click the paperclip icon up above to insert a link.  For example

Interesting that you’re in sd. I’m near downtown, where are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/13/2019 at 10:32 PM, jjonez said:

SO update. I am not going to be getting this Pathy. it had a odometer roll back between 2004-2015. the guy selling it did know about it but would come down on the price. I think the pathy had close to 300K on it and I wouldnt want to pay more the 700 for it.