Speed Dependent Whine Under Acceleration

onespiritbrain

So a few days ago I went off-roading for the first time in a while. I didnt use 4WD and did have some free wheeling at the rear on the way off the trail. First I noticed a significant whine, about as high pitched as a deep males voice will go, at 50-60mph under heavy acceleration load (up a hill). Now the same whine is present when taking off from stop and increases in loudness until about 25mph and begins to taper off until 40mph where I can barely hear it. It still reappears sharply at 50mph going up hills.

I would like to pinpoint the offending area. I hope its the transfer case since I have one sitting in my storage building but I fear its actually the rear diff. I do also have a slight rumble that is load dependent (more pronounced with greater load) that begins at 40mph and peaks at 50mph before tapering off to nothing by 65mph. 

I do not notice a change in the whine while taking curves.

70+mph speeds are silent and completely smooth.

I plan to check fluids in both the rear end and transfer case tonight.

Edited by onespiritbrain

9ed94f2fbd9ed0e0db9f19109911099d.jpg

075e091a031a984ae79d3fa8c1ec7196.jpg

I assume that amount is abnormal?

I changed the drain plug out for one I have at work but there’s no magnet. I suspect there’s more metal in there than what can held on that little magnet anyway but I am just picturing newly freed shavings making their way into the mesh..

Is it of any benefit to change the fluid at this point?

• Like 1

No whining at all on the way home.... not complaining or anything. Rumbling was still present.

The rumbling is not intense enough to rattle anything inside the vehicle but it does shake my side mirrors enough to where it’s hard to make out details, like what kind of car is about to pass my slow butt.

• 2 weeks later...

So the rumble was due to incorrect tire pressure?
I just replaced the rear diff entire axle on my 96 and I too have a rumble when going around curves. What size tire are you running along with pressure? My rear differential oil smelled the same as you described when I changed mine.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk