Transmission cause a miss when idle

Mrelcocko

I'm feeling a miss when driving and when ldle. I can definitely hear and feel a miss when sitting idle and cruising. On I-75 the other night I felt some jerking like a miss and some major wind noise like driving through high winds but the wind was calm. I've never felt or heard anything like that. I painted the front bumper on MyQ the other night and I usually put something in between the bumper and the radiator and trans cooler so I don't paint them as well. I took the tape off around the bumper when I was done but I totally forgot about the paper I used to cover the trans cooler and radiator and drove my wife to work and a few other places until I noticed it after I took the paper off is when I noticed the symptoms I'm having did I cause damage to the trans cooler or for that matter the transmission. I don't have these symptoms all the time. No MIL. Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Seems like the engine would've overheated long before the trans had issues with rad blocked off. Wouldn't hurt to check the fluid, though. Unless the paper had spikes on it I doubt it damaged the cooler. Odd that it would be misfiring and not coding. If you have a scanner that can show pending codes, give that a go, it might be waiting for a certain number of misses before it bothers telling you anything. The wind noise is odd, especially if it happened after you removed the paper. Fan clutch maybe?

• Like 1

I ran the codes and a knock sensor is coming up along with temperature sensor the temperature sensor is on there because I had unplugged it to fix the wire not too long ago and forgot to plug it back up and turned the ignition on so that's why that's in there. I just took my wife to work and sitting at the end of our driveway it missed three or four times and didn't do it again. oddly enough the noise I'm talking about seems like it shifted over towards the passenger side from driver side under my feet. Its quieter now too. I just changed the transmission fluid last week I didn't do the full flush only drained the pan and put back new. I just started it and let it run for about 5 minutes and it didn't miss not one time sitting in my driveway. I was thinking maybe clutch fan too but it seems as though the sound has shifted. Thanks for your input.

Hmmm... were there any transmission related problems? Did you notice any hard shifts or reluctance to downshift or shift to the next gear?

How does the fluid look now? Does it smell different than new fluid?

Jerking can be a symptom of transmission issues but usually not at idle.

Also, an overheating engine can suffer various types of misfiring (pre/post) and if your knock sensor is unplugged (or relocated too far away from the block like mine) then the ECU cant pull time to correct it. It sounds like you were overheating to me. 

I'd change the engine oil and check the trans oil.

Just saw that it was the coolant temp sensor that was unplugged. So you're getting a positive for knock but not misfire.. that sounds like the missing you feel is actually light knocking.

Edited by onespiritbrain
  • Like 1

Hmmm... were there any transmission related problems? Did you notice any hard shifts or reluctance to downshift or shift to the next gear?

How does the fluid look now? Does it smell different than new fluid?

Jerking can be a symptom of transmission issues but usually not at idle.

Also, an overheating engine can suffer various types of misfiring (pre/post) and if your knock sensor is unplugged (or relocated too far away from the block like mine) then the ECU cant pull time to correct it. It sounds like you were overheating to me. 

I'd change the engine oil and check the trans oil.

Just saw that it was the coolant temp sensor that was unplugged. So you're getting a positive for knock but not misfire.. that sounds like the missing you feel is actually light knocking.
The only hard shift is from first to second, a light jerk. It's always done that. I did notice when pressing the throttle to hit the passing gear(down shift) it's a little reluctant than before causing me to have to press the gas down just a little bit more, but within the past 24 hours it's back to normal when downshifting to pass. Knock sensor is in factory location. I can't believe it's not throwing any codes either for the missing because it's definitely a miss I can feel it at idle when cruising and something else looking at my Volt gauge whenever it does miss the gauge goes along with the miss. From 14v to12v back to14v to12v. It's got brand new injectors timing belt, tensioner,water pump ,valve cover gaskets,fuel filter, Nissan TSB adding ground wire. I'm at a loss. Check the trans fluid and its pink reading the entire dipstick.

It has to miss pretty good to throw a 300. I remember you had misfire codes whenever you were dealing with your distributor, is the misfiring as bad as it was with the dizzy?

Thanks for remembering about the multiple misfire codes back then the fix on that was a timing belt had been put on wrong by the previous owner. Once I replaced the timing belt and got around to putting the new injectors in it it was like a brand new car purred like a kitten what I'm feeling now is worse then what I felt back then and it's not throwing any codes at all I'm about to head over to my dad's house he's got a really nice scan tool that can read live data fuel trims what should I be looking for?This really just came out of nowhere. I took the distributor apart last night to see if there were any shavings inside and I didn't see any so the distributor going bad scenario is out. I'm lost. Can the transmission cause a misfire? I can't believe no CEC's

I can't think of a way the trans could cause a misfire. Maybe if it was slipping it could feel like a misfire. The torque converter lockup clutch in a friend's CRV seized up a while back (at least that's what we assume it was, the trans guy who fixed it said the converter was all burned up) and it juddered like hell if you stopped with it in gear, but that felt less like a misfire and more like the car was shaking itself to death. It also went away in neutral or park IIRC.

Look for pending codes, see if you've got any weird fuel trims. Might be able to watch for misfires in real time. If it's a real nice scanner with a scope you might be able to check out the wave form for the position sensor and/or knock sensor and see if you notice the signal doing anything weird when the misfire acts up (assuming it doesn't clear up completely when you have the scope plugged in, then act up again on the drive home).

And one stupid thought... does it misfire more when it's wet? How old are the plug wires?

No idea on the noise, that's just weird. Crawl underneath and see if there's some masking paper that you missed?

• Like 1

I just want to take a minute and say that you guys really really are awesome people although I've never met any of you in person I feel like I know some of you it seems to me like you guys really do care and in this day in age that means a lot thank you so much. I did take the cover off from under the front of the engine because I had dropped some sockets down there and the only way for me to get them out was to take that off maybe that's what's causing the noise up front but I don't have it on my pathfinder and my pathfinder doesn't do it. Who knows I'll find out when I put it back on later tonight. Here's another thought could it be the fuel pump going out?

Okay guys here's an update I went by my dad's put the scan tool on it everything checked out just fine. Timing was at 15 degrees every now and again it would go to 13 probably every 15-20 seconds during this is was missing as well.RPMs we're between 750 and 800 which is in criteria. checked everything under the bottom and didn't see anything that would cause noise that I could tell. On the way home from my dad's I kind of heard a slight humming sound sounded like it was coming from the front left maybe a bearing there I don't know. I'm going to put the cover back on for the front of the engine to see if that takes care of the noise. I tested each plug wire and they all tested out by the FSM just fine. I took the mass airflow sensor out cleaned it used an air hose and blew out the connections a lot of dust and debris came out also I blew the distributor out and a lot of fine gray toxic stuff filled my lungs, lol. Lossened all the ground screws retighend and tightened up my power steering belt it looks like the culprit as far as the miss was a plug wire. I think that explains why the voltmeter was jumping like it was correct me if I'm wrong.

Multiple issues going on at the same time can be so strange. How in the world does a covered radiator and a plug wire problem just so happen to present at the same time...? I've had similar stuff happen like that, multiple times. It can be quite the coincidence, of course I guess on an aging vehicle with thousands of potential problems lying in wait, it can be expected that multiple problems present at the same time. However I do not see the same pattern with industrial machines. 

• Like 1

So the misfire went away after messing with the plug wires?
Yes sir. I loosened and retighend the ground screws,Cleaned the maf sensor and blew inside of dizzy out. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

About the weird sound I'm hearing. Today while driving it I started to get a vibration underneath the driver seat and in the steering wheel I read up and decided to check the front driveshaft is it normal for me to be able to push up on it before it goes in to the front diff and have a clicking sound? When I push up on it there it sounds like someone breaking a small piece of plastic like a plastic toothpick or something. I bet that's what my problem is my front drive shaft has issues or my front differential. I tell you what when the s*** hits the fan it hits the fan LOL! I added a picture to show where I'm pushing up at. By the way this is my Pathy in the pic a d not the Q in question.

28c550f719f6e6e1cbfcf4782f301253.jpg

About the weird sound I'm hearing. Today while driving it I started to get a vibration underneath the driver seat and in the steering wheel I read up and decided to check the front driveshaft is it normal for me to be able to push up on it before it goes in to the front diff and have a clicking sound? When I push up on it there it sounds like someone breaking a small piece of plastic like a plastic toothpick or something. I bet that's what my problem is my front drive shaft has issues or my front differential. I tell you what when the s*** hits the fan it hits the fan LOL! I added a picture to show where I'm pushing up at. By the way this is my Pathy in the pic a d not the Q in question.

28c550f719f6e6e1cbfcf4782f301253.jpg

Is that only a verticle motion or is it a spinning motion when you move it by hand, How loose is that thing?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk