Reverse lights went out now the car won’t start.

Ole_Rosie_R50

Hey everyone, I was trying to install auxiliary reverse LED lights to my rig and I tried splicing into the reverse light power wire and grounding the black wire. I ended up blowing something and now the car will not start. I’ve looked at all of my fuses and relays and cant find anything that is causing the car to not start. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^That's where I'd start. The reverse lights are switched by the inhibitor switch on the transmission, which is also what prevents the starter from engaging if you're not in park or neutral. That switch is also what controls the PRNDL display on the dash, if yours has that. Is that display working? Looks like there's a 10A fuse for the inhibitor, I'd check that first in case your aux lights or a wiring fault overloaded that circuit.

When I wired aux reverse lights on mine, I went full overkill with a relay and a fused power lead. That way the inhibitor switch is passing very little additional current (only what the relay coil takes), and if my wiring or the cheap Chinese LEDs short out and pop a fuse, they can't take anything important with them.