Wiring Harness

ryjaytay38

Hey guys,

I've posted a few times about my stereo shorting out , but I think I might have a bigger problem. The other day I was trying to find the stereo short. After pulling the deck out and finding nothing, I was pushing the wiring harness back and forth that goes to the drivers door. Just wiggling it to see if I could find a break or find a spot where the stereo would come on. Now my blower motor is coming off and on, stereo is doing the same and I'm wondering if my wiring harness is old and brittle and maybe when I was wiggling it, more wires broke? When the blower motor comes on, it isn't consistent. You can hear that it isn't a good connection. I don't know a hell of a lot about electrical stuff. I did just replace an entire wiring harness on my 99 Isuzu Trooper that pretty much runs the whole engine, however, the Pathfinder seems to be a little more "in depth" with wiring. In other words, it looks like there are a lot more wiring harnesses and a lot more confusion and complications. I'm thinking the blower and stereo are on the same wiring path since they're right next to each other. Do I dare start replacing harnesses? Any suggestions would be more than welcomed!

It sounds like you're closing in on the problem. The blower and stereo should both be on the dash harness, but the wiring for the blower shouldn't have anything to do with the door harness you're messing with. If it's shorting something out enough to take power away from the blower, it should be popping fuses or smoking something else. My guess is that you've got a loose or screwed-up connection in the driver's kick panel area, and moving that door harness is wiggling that bad connection. Looks like there are some body grounds in there as well. I'd give all of that a good look for loose/melted/corroded connections before digging into the whole dash.

The Arizona heat may be harder on wiring than what I'm used to, but I'd be surprised if the wiring was brittle and falling apart just from wiggling it. The wiring on my '93 is still entirely usable.

• Like 1

If you're concerned about broken wires I'd find both ends (which will likely be spread across various plugs so it'll be a bit of a pain) and start doing some continuity testing with the ol' multimeter. I agree with Slart though, sounds to me like one major plug is messed up somewhere.

Not sure if the Nissan one is as detailed, but for my 4Runner the Factory Service Manual wiring diagrams are extremely detailed, telling you every connector and ground (and where they're located) that wiring for each system goes through, which may be handy in tracking this issue down a bit on paper before going nuts tearing your interior apart. It can be very frustrating trying to figure out where a wire comes out once it enters a dash loom and you can't see what's going on.

Thanks Slartibartfast and Mjotrainbrain- I've got the Haynes Manual here so I'm going to see what's going where and where the grounds are. I had only found one a few days ago but looks like there are a few. As I said, I wiggled those wires but didn't unplug anything so I'll give that a shot to see if there's any corrosion or anything melted. If I get nothing there, I'll break out the multi meter and see if that will tell me anything. I've also got a new resistor for the blower motor that I'll put in to rule it in or out. I will definitely keep you posted!

You can download the factory service manual here. The EL section is your friend. Unfortunately you may need to do some squinting and cross-referencing between the wiring harness layout and the actual diagram to work out which wires within the harness go where.

3 hours ago, ryjaytay38 said:

Thanks Slartibartfast and Mjotrainbrain- I've got the Haynes Manual here so I'm going to see what's going where and where the grounds are. I had only found one a few days ago but looks like there are a few. As I said, I wiggled those wires but didn't unplug anything so I'll give that a shot to see if there's any corrosion or anything melted. If I get nothing there, I'll break out the multi meter and see if that will tell me anything. I've also got a new resistor for the blower motor that I'll put in to rule it in or out. I will definitely keep you posted!

Ditch the Haynes. (Slartibartfast just posted the link as I was starting this).  At the very end of the EL section he mentioned, there's a Harness Layout section.  The section shows a location, plus a breakdown of the shape and wire counts of the harnesses.  You may have to work backwards a little from there to find your leads.  Once you know what harness you're working with, you can go to the appropriate EL section to get more details about the wiring, including wire colors.

You should also look at the General Information (GI) PDF.  There's a "How to Read Wiring Diagrams" section that does just that, including identifying harness types and the table for deciphering color codes. 

• Like 1