VQ35DE Rebuild advice

jenga22

Hi all, starting a rebuild on my 2002 SE R50 motor for my tech school project.  Looking for advice on where to get parts and gaskets at a decent price.  I'm wary of the Ebay kits and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of quality, long lasting parts.  In particular I'm looking to buy Pistons/Rings, all bearings, all gaskets, water pump, and whatever else you think I need to replace while I have it out.  This is my inaugural rebuild so learning as I go (with a little help from the instructor).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jenga22

Make sure you loctite the power valve screws while you put it back together, they're known for dropping into the VQ engines and causing problems. Also, the EM section of the service manual (which you can download from here if you haven't) should have all the procedures/torque specs/etc you need for the rebuild. Good luck!

• Like 2

You might want to try Nissan for many of the parts. You will want a timing chain kit. When you have it apart, you will want to inspect both of the timing covers closely for damaged gaskets in the internal oil passages. The front cover is known to have the gasket fail between the cover and the passage plates screwed in the backside of the cover. Those gaskets are not available as far as I know, but can be easily made. When I was at the dealership we just replaced the timing cover when they developed internal leaks. It was not terribly expensive. Those passages are for the variable cam timing phasers, so when they leak, you have cam timing codes and poor running pop up. There is a couple of tiny screens in there too, be careful not to lose them. Many of the gaskets are from a tube, but there is a bunch of little O-rings used. 

I suggest getting a FSM for your engine and read it. Use the exploded diagrams to make a list of all the little parts you are going to be replacing. 

I am going to warn you now, Nissan engines are not inexpensive to rebuild. Years ago I built a Z24/Z22 Frankenstein for my 1980 200SX, and it wound up costing about $1000. And it was a primitive SOHC 4 cyl. Also, they have very tight tolerances and will not tolerate mistakes very well. 

Good luck, do it right and you will have a very good engine when done. 

• Like 3