Steering rack bushings

Megaton

In the last two years I have gone through two sets of Dorman bushings due to oil contamination. Dorman says the bushings are polyurethane and oil shouldn't hurt them but they won't honor their warranty because they were used on an off road vehicle. So I'm trying Ricochet polyurethane technologies part no. N8 N9-90 BLU. Anyone else use these? I will give periodic updates. By the way, I think I got the oil leak under control.

Friend of mine has a 1996 LE like mine and he has had the exact same issue with Dorman bushings. I just had my steering rack replaced because it was leaking like a lawn sprinkler. Not sure what brand bushings came with the replacement kit.

I had some of the ricochet bushings off eBay for ~6 months and just had to replace them with the dormans. My rack was wiggling and squeaking quite a bit even with the bolts torqued down. Compared to the doorman's the material is a lot thinner, too thin to hold the rack securely in my case. Would not recommend.

• Like 1

I am having trouble with the Doorman bushings in the same way. I am very tired of the 1 inch slack in my steering wheel caused by the racks ability to shift back and forth..

My rack does leak like a sieve..

I’m thinking about buying a couple cans of brass shims to make a couple bushings with that’ll allow for some serious clamping force. I just wonder how long brass would hold up.

• 2 weeks later...

The steering rack is still moving a tiny bit. I can hear creaking when I turn the steering wheel.  The movement of the rack is unnoticeable but you can hear it. The steering wheel was turning from the 11 o'clock to the 1 o'clock positions before the tires would move. It's tight now. Time will tell.