Steering Pump, Outer Tie Rods, $1,256.06 ?

mbailey802

1998 R50

I have a 1998 r50, 3.3l v6 auto. About 2.5 weeks ago I started hearing a bit of a scratching or squealing sound when I would turn the wheel sharply (usually in parking lots). I didn't think much of it at first but it seemed to be getting progressively worse. Steering fluid level is fine. One shop looked quickly for me and said they thought the belt was slipping when I would turn the wheel in park with engine on. 

Another shop in my town said they did a pressure test and I am in need of a new steering pump (and may as well but on new belts at the same time for another $130.56).

The quote for only the steering pump and labour is $555.45 which I thought was very steep. $338.85 for the part + $216.60 for labour ($555.45 CAD).

They also say its time for new outer tie rods, which will also require an alignment.

$115.84 for parts and $136.80 for labour, plus an alignment after for $114.00.

Also a new air filter. All in all after tax this totals $1,256.06 CAD (943.66155 USD).

Does this seem like normal pricing you would expect? FYI I am in Squamish BC and only moved here a year ago so I do not have a go-to shop here yet. Any suggestions? I know steering pumps can be found for much cheaper than $338.85 online 

Thanks

Ur getting ripped off. Go to Rockauto.com and get your parts there. Should cost you no more than 2 or $300

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

That quote is probably what I'd expect a shop to charge for those items.  Does that make it a good deal?  No, probably not, unless you can't do the work.  But, they have a business to run and that's their costs.  Could you do the job yourself for less?  Absolutely!  Not sure of any issues getting parts from Rock Auto in CAN, but they've got a good selection and great prices.  (Others will complain about RA, but I've had zero issues with things from them).  USD wise, you can get every part those shops mentioned for under $200 USD.  But if you can turn a wrench, jobs like this are a breeze to diagnose and repair.

Like many, I'm skeptical of mechanic assessments, especially when they start suggesting things that have nothing to do with your visit, and it's accompanied by additional services and labor on top.  The rest of my skepticism comes from "proof" of a condition or test.  For instance, they pressure checked your steering pump; the test requires putting a pressure gauge inline to the hoses.  Do you see signs of ATF or clean-up around the steering lines fittings?  Did they introduce any leaks by reusing the crush washers on the lines?  I mean, are you sure they checked the pressure?  Did they give you any pressure numbers?  Did they tell you what the pressure specs are for the pump?  Without any of that proof, I'd be skeptical the test was even done, and that'd be the last time I visited that shop.

What timing convention are they using to determine lifespan on tie rods?  Changing outer tie rods takes 20 minutes for both, and unless they took things apart, it's unlikely they could determine if both TREs were ready for replacement.  Unless they're rattling loose, or showing physical damage, they probably don't need replacement.  A few simple measurements before doing the work also reduces, if not prevents, the need to do an alignment (especially if there wasn't already a need for an alignment).

But, sorry for the tangent...let's talk about the issue.  Steering squealing can usually be caused by worn belts.  Check the belt for excessive fraying or smoothness.  Check the tension on the belt between pulleys.  If it feels loose, adjust the tensioner (not sure on the VG if this is integrated into the pump or a separate pulley).  Replace the belts if it's time.  Also check the pulleys for worn faces (where the belt contacts the pulley), but especially check the bearings.  I've had a idler bearing on my power steering grenade on me before; it was preceded by squealing that got progressively worse before it gave in.  Best way to check things is to pull the belt and rotate the pulleys by hand to feel for any hesitation.  But also check for any play (should be none).

I've dealt with a lot of squealing on my 98 Frontier in the past, and it's almost always come down to the belt being either loose or worn, with the exploding bearing exception above.  The last time I dealt with odd squealing was on a buddy's 02 Pathfinder.  The high pressure hose had a tiny leak by the upper hose crimp that was only really noticeable under hard/quick steering wheel motions.  Inspect the hose for abnormal flexing as the pressure increases.  A new hose resolved that issue.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 2