Bose Stereo Issue

ryjaytay38

Hey guys, 

My 2001 Pathfinder seems like it's got a short in the stereo. It comes on and off randomly for about 5-10 seconds and shuts off. I had to replace the drivers door(long story) and when I put the new door on and exchanged all the hardware, the stereo came on with no issues for a week. Yesterday it shut down again and back to random on and off. Today I've pulled the door panel off and when I popped it off stereo came on, 5 seconds and off. I've been under the steering wheel wiggling wires and in the door trying to re-create the issue and getting nowhere. I'll take my hands off completely and the damn thing turns on!! Are there any ideas of where to look or test? I was thinking about pulling the head unit because the light on the display flickers but never completely blacks out. I always have the radio numbers. There's a ground down on the side of the drivers door but thats tight. Any ideas would be welcomed! 

Thanks in advance 

Sounds like you're on the right track. I haven't had a door off an R50 but I remember getting the electrical plug out of the A pillar on my '95 was a massive PITA, so I wouldn't be surprised if a wire in that harness was damaged during the process (or routed up against something that wore through it over time) and is shorting to either the door or the pillar. I would remove the head unit and check continuity between the driver's door speaker wires and ground. Maybe check it against + too, on the off chance it's shorted to a wire for the power window switch or something. If that doesn't tell you anything, check power and ground at the stereo plug to rule that out, though it doesn't sound like that's the issue if the display isn't blacking out.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 2