Alternator and Radiator upgrades?

herotrooper

Hey everyone, I can't remember where, but I couldve sworn I've read that the R50's can hve alternator upgrades from other Nissans (Quest pops into my head) and also can upgrade the radiator to a supercharged Xterra rad, as it's thicker. Maybe I read it over on NICOclub... maybe I'm crazy? Anyone have any insight to these? Alternator possibly only on the VG33 engine?

Pricey but powerful

250amp

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/products/11051-250-xp-nissan-pathfinder-2002-3-5l-v6-vq35de?_pos=2&_sid=97ea19829&_ss=r

270amp

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/products/11051-270-xp-nissan-pathfinder-2002-3-5l-v6-vq35de?_pos=17&_sid=97ea19829&_ss=r

says it fits the whole R50 range, but also says 3.3 so i dont know what to think. 

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-high-output-alternator-by-rugged-rocks-1996-2004-33l-v6-180-amp-p-60701.html

As far as im aware there are no off the shelf upgrades for the R50 rad, you are going custom, or spending the time and money to see if there are alternatives that fit from another car.

I remember looking into it somewhat and thinking the S14 240sx radiator looked close and had the outlets in the correct orientation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RainGoat said:

I only knew of the RRO one above but I think I’ve heard of using other Nissan Alternators as well, I just don’t recall it being a sizeable increase in power.

The quest alt has options for both the 3.3 and the 3.5 but i think at most its like 110amps. i believe the factory alt in our cars is an 80amp. 

1 hour ago, ferrariowner123 said:

The quest alt has options for both the 3.3 and the 3.5 but i think at most its like 110amps. i believe the factory alt in our cars is an 80amp. 

Is that small of a bump not worth it? 

Yep, that sounds like what I remember. Probably worth it if you have to replace your alternator anyway as I imagine it’s about the same price & at least half, if not a third, of those other options.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, herotrooper said:

Is that small of a bump not worth it? 

Depends on your particular needs. If all you're doing is some extra lighting, the stock alt is fine, maybe a decent battery upgrade would be advised, depending on how many watts you're drawing. 

If you want to run you SMD dual magnet 18" sub woofer with 5000 watts to each voice coil, you're gonna need that 270amp alt, maybe 2. lol 

-Kyle

• Like 2

While not a bad idea to upgrade, it’s worth noting I ran 750w of forward lighting with a stock alternator & an Optima Red Top for over a decade with no problems. (I would, however, recommend a deep cycle AGM battery like an Odyssey or Northstar/X2 Power - avoid Optima these days - just not the battery they used to be).

• Like 2