Swaying Terrible

SCJax2018

My 1996 LE sways terrible at high speeds like 65 to 70 mph.  All the rear end bushings were replaced a few months ago as well as the rear shocks because it used to wobble. The front bushings don't show any visible signs of being bad.  The rack and pinion was just replaced a few months ago due to a massive fluid leak out the seals and front end was supposedly aligned. The front wheel bearings were just recently cleaned and repacked during a front break job and I double checked the tightness today thinking I had a loose wheel bearing, but there were still tight. Also check pressure in all four tires and they were fine too.

What else could it be? Weak or bad front struts?? Dragging brake pad or shoe?? I'm at a total lose.

When my 93 does that, it has always been a broken rear swaybar link. My truck didn't change much when I disconnected the front one, so I removed it and tossed it. The rear on the other hand, has a huge effect. Mine gets very squirrelly and downright terrifying above 40 mph when the rear bar is disconnected or a link breaks. 

• Like 1

If it’s swaying then I’d inspect the sway bar end links and bushings. However you’d be hearing clunking something fierce if it were the end links or bushings. I just changed my lightly worn rear sway bar bushings and it took away the non metallic clunking that remained after a repair I had to make to the driver side upper trailing arm.

Do you have clunking noises from the rear?

Sorry about the late reply. Changed both front and rear sway bar links and bushings. Looks like the bushing on my front drivers side lower control arm is bad. Every bushing in the rear have been replaced (invented a whole new dictionary of cuss words pressing the old bushings out).

• 1 month later...

@Mrelcocko I have this, but only notice it when slowing down between 12-18 mph. I replaced the lower control arm bushings with poly bushings but skipped the upper trailing arms as I ran out of time that night (those old bushings are a b***h to remove haha).  Would the horseback riding stop with the replacing of the upper trailing arm bushings?