Best Deer Protection

AlwaysWrenching

Living in rural Michigan deer are always jumping out in the road. I'm looking at either a brush guard or a Coastal Off-road bumper. The 1997 Pathfinder still has a metal bumper so I'm wondering if the bumper is a study enough mounting point to provide real protection if a brush guard is mounted to it? Also being a uni-body it's bumper mounting points don't look near as strong as a body on chassis SUV. Is it even worth getting the Coastal Off-road bumper? Would it just destroy the mounting points in an impact?

Living in rural Michigan deer are always jumping out in the road. I'm looking at either a brush guard or a Coastal Off-road bumper. The 1997 Pathfinder still has a metal bumper so I'm wondering if the bumper is a study enough mounting point to provide real protection if a brush guard is mounted to it? Also being a uni-body it's bumper mounting points don't look near as strong as a body on chassis SUV. Is it even worth getting the Coastal Off-road bumper? Would it just destroy the mounting points in an impact?

I have the Coastal Offroad bumper. I would agree you have identified its weak point. Frankly, it’s the weak point of all aftermarket bumpers on the R50.[mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] has been working on some brackets to bolster this attachment & ultimately I will switch to a bumper based on his &[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] bumper design for exactly these reasons. Personally, I also think the Coastal Offroad design is a little too focused on “high clearance “. Another 2cm of lip would have been useful for mounting forward lights on top. Also, it should have had Hi-Lift jack points cut into the design. All that said, I think it’s probably the best currently available bumper. If you get one, keep in touch as we can discuss mods to the design & how to work around some of its limitations. Also, as an FYI, you may decide you’ll want to rework your windshield washer fluid reservoir & air intake resonators as they show (common with most aftermarket bumpers). Look at my IG account & you’ll see. I plan to paint mine black for the interim but will ultimately rework.

• Like 2

How weak are the mounting points? I really like the truck but we have a huge deer population and I hate the idea of sinking a bunch of money into it only to have a deer destroy it. 

I was was also contemplating reinforcing the factory bumper a little and just adding a brush guard.

Edited by AlwaysWrenching

I can’t speak to deer impacts - other than a steel bumper is likely better than an OEM bumper. I would also consider the full grill protection option on that bumper if I was thinking deer. The real Achille’s heel is side pull snatches - best avoided.

• Like 4

I wouldn't worry about it that much, any vehicle other than a big truck is going to get hurt by a deer real bad; does that stop people from sinking money into Corvettes and such? If you want the ultimate in deer protection get an F250 with a Ranch Hand bumper, otherwise just build the R50 as well as you can but understand that's more to improve it off-road and against minor traffic incidents than anything else.

• Like 1

The trouble with most brush guards is that they're designed to stop low-velocity vegetation, not high-velocity venison. They have a reputation for collapsing in a collision and causing damage to more of the front end than would've been hit by the deer alone. I'd prefer a proper bumper, but of course anything will crumple if hit hard enough. My strategy in rural Washington (also lousy with hoof rats) is just to drive slower late evening through early morning when they tend to be on the road. The only one I've hit, I saw long beforehand, and thought, nah, he'll stay where he is. :doh:Dumb SOB dove in front of me at the last minute like he wanted the insurance money. I'd slowed down to around 40 by that point, though, so the damage to the truck was minor.

• Like 4

I had my Pathfinder for exactly 1 month when a deer hit me. Smashed my right front fender and door in. Tow truck driver that was behind me said it was the most bizzare thing he had seen. I know that deer ran off, since the guy at the gas station I stopped at to contact the sheriff department went out to check came back saying the the deer was gone. Found smashed glass and the sideways skid marks, but no deer. Called my insurance agent and told her that I got hit by a deer and she had a hard time believing it until she saw the report. Had the tow driver as a witness that I was the victim of a hit and run, but the state refused to take responsibility for the damage caused by their deer. It is weird paying the insurance deductible before making the first car payment. Wound up getting the fender, door, window, and mirror replaced, all with genuine Nissan parts. 

• Like 2