Spacer lift kit? Best brand

AlwaysWrenching

I just purchased a 1997 Pathfinder I plan on modifying for a decent trail rig and also a daily driver. I’m wondering if people are happy with the spacer lift kits, or is it worth saving up for the OME lift kit with new coils and struts? What brands of spacer kit are best? Looking just to run 31” tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Suspensions-1996-2004-Pathfinder-1997-2003/dp/B01N4VFX7V

Any good?

Edited by AlwaysWrenching

When you say "decent trail rig" do you intend to drive on trails in which a front tire may come off the ground?  If so, there are no decent spacer kits that will gain you enough clearance for that type of terrain while ensuring that you don't break a front CV axle. Any spacer taller than 1" will result in allowing the front suspension to drop beyond the CV axle's designed maximum operating angle. If torque is applied to the CV axle while it's overextended, binding and breakage will occur.

If you're looking to lift with coil springs (which are a more reliable solution than spacers for off-road use), you do not need new struts. If your current struts still have serviceable life left, you may reuse them. Due to the labor of installing new springs into the struts, I do recommend replacing the strut bearings (inexpensive parts, expensive labor). IMO, you are better off spending the extra money and getting new springs. Provided that you have wheels with the correct offset, 31" tires will easily fit with even a mild lift.

When I first purchased my 97 LE, it had 28" tires on the factory 15x6.5" wheels. I promptly replaced the 235/70R15 Dueler HLs with 30x9.50R15 tires. When those tires wore out after about a year, I replaced them with 31x10.50R15 Yokohama Geolandars on with 15x8 wheels. (The stock 15x6.5" wheels were too narrow for 31's.) These wheels later also accommodated 32x11.50R15 BFG AT tires, which fit with a 2" coil spring lift that I had custom-made, since at the time, there were no lift kits available. (This was sometime around late 1999.) I ran 32" tires with my 2" lift for over 15 years with no issues, and my rig has been a more-than-decent trail rig and daily driver. It's got almost 210,000 miles on the odometer. I have never broken a CV joint.

My point is this: if you want to keep your truck for a long time, and want to preserve its reliability while driving off-road, do not get spacers. Save up for the right modifications. Visit the link in my signature for more info.

• Like 4

You should search & review the lift threads. I think virtually everyone would agree on Landrover Springs for the rear (2 heights & 2 spring rates). Most people use Bilstein shocks for the rear, either 5100s or 5160/65s.

The front has essentially 2 options: AC or ARB OME. The AC give you a full 2” lift but at the cost of a harsh ride. The OME are a superb ride but don’t lift as much (you’ll likely want a 1” spacer) & cost more. For struts, the leaders are KYB & OME. Unfortunately, the OME cost 3x the KYB so it’s very reasonable to go with the KYB - no real complaints. For the strut bearing, use Nissan OME - too many problems with other brands. Make sure you read about & understand the top hat issues. I’d just reuse the OEM but if you go aftermarket, be sure you have the top hat spacer properly placed - history of many errors & failures there.

• Like 3