Dream restoration and mods! - I need advice.

Joey98pathfinder

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE, Red, +/-190k miles - Stock. Owned (since new) by my dad who passed away in 2006.  For years, I've wanted to completely restore and then further modify this Pathfinder.  Yet sadly, it has just sat in my driveway.  My dream has always been to turn it into the most beautiful, bad***, head-turning Pathfinder on or off the road.  Now... I am all of the sudden able to make this dream a reality, and I need NPORA's help.  (I turned here first, so I'm hoping to guys and gals come through for me!)

Phase 1:

Since it has sat for 5 years completely unused, I had it hauled to a mechanic to get it running.  Soon, I'm taking it back to have some further mechanical restoration done.  That leads me to my first question.

- What should I tell the mechanic to do? 

Other than a new battery, radiator flush, change of all fluids and a tune-up (which has been done), I'm thinking I should have all belts and hoses replaced.  Maybe have the timing belt and water pump done? Check on and replace valve cover gasket (and other gaskets)? - What else do you guys recommend? My mechanic is more of a "budget-oriented", "fix things cheap" kind of mechanic, so me taking it to him without more specific instructions hasn't worked well for me so far.  What do I tell him to do to my Pathfinder to make is reliable enough to drive across the country? Money is no object, so I'd rather be thorough instead of quick.  What do the experts here at NPORA have to say about this phase?

Phase 2:

Exterior / Interior renovation.  This is is pretty straight forward.  I'm just going to have a body shop replace any trim that's bad, get out a dent or two, restore the paint, de-fog all lights, etc etc. 

Phase 3 (aka "The Fun Part"):

I don't know where to start with what mods I'd like.  I'm not going to be taking it off-road much or at all (sorry guys) - at least not anytime soon.  I still want it to looks and perform like a beast though.  This is where I have the most questions.

Lift it? - what do you think? (I'm leaning towards yes, but a small lift.  Your thoughts?) I will only be driving it randomly and not on long trips.  It'll be a sporadic weekend vehicle.  I don't want it to handle poorly, but perhaps a lift doesn't affect the handling that much.  (I'm VERY ignorant on this topic.)

Wheels and Tires? - I suppose it depends on if I have it lifted.  Let's assume I lift it a little.  What size wheels/tires look the best? Is there a web site that I can reference? What have you guys found that look and perform the best?

Lights / Bars / Grills? - I definitely want to do 'something' to add flare.  What are some good resources to consult? Are there any DO's and DONT's that I need to be aware of?

Performance enhancements? - I'd love to add some things that boost engine / transmission performance, as well as change the tone of the truck to something beefy.  What have you guys found that meets those needs?  

I'm excited to start this project right here first.  I'll post updates and further questions so you guys can see the progress of your suggestions.

1998NissanPathfinder_beforepicture.jpg

• Like 1

First off...is it 4x4? Second....for lift if you’re not gonna off road it maybe just go with new springs and some lift spacers. 2 inches of lift will be great. Throw some nice 31s on there on your wheels of choice. If it’s 4x4 get locking hubs to increase cv axle life and aid in better fuel mileage. Probably replace shocks struts and suspension bushings as well for ride quality. For power...not a lot of options. Get a good 2.5 inch exhaust on there and maybe a snorkel. Replace iacv gasket, flush and replace all fluids. New fuel, and air filter. Definitely do timing belt and water pump at this point. Tranny filter too if money is no problem. Light bars are great too and a roof basket looks pretty cool if you’re after that 

Welcome to the group.

Honestly, my vote would be to basically leave it mostly stock.  Do whatever maintenance and repair is appropriate for the age, mileage, and condition of the vehicle, but upgrade a few things, then just enjoy it.  Modifying the truck is a slippery slope and, frankly, there's not much for upgrades out there.  It's a great truck as-is; goal number one is just getting—and keeping—it, on the road.

If anything:

• Invest in a proper lift and suspension package: Old Man Emu springs, shocks, and struts.  Great reputation, great ride and handling qualities, moderate lift.  Pricey, but worth it.  I wouldn't bother with spacers here, unless it's to help level out your stance...if you'll already be taking everything off the truck, just replace it the right stuff.
  • Get some quality all-terrain tires in OE size (P265/70-15), or maybe upgrade to LT's or 31x10.5 if you think you'll have an inkling to venture off-road one day.
  • If you like the stock look but want larger wheels (yours are 15x7), consider finding (or piece together) a set of 17x8 LE wheels from 01-04 Pathfinders or the 17x8 "Supercharger" wheels from 02-04 Frontiers/Xterras.  Good looks without having to fuss with backspacing and center bore nuisances.
  • If you're into tunes, upgrade the head-unit and/or speakers; maybe add an amp and sub.

Anything else is going to requiring drilling, more wiring, and perhaps even custom fabrication.  Not that I frown on that stuff, but if you're just getting into things and hoping for bolt-on stuff, you probably won't find it.  I wouldn't go gonzo with a bunch of stuff you're probably not going to use, unless that's just part of the dream you're going for.  I won't judge.

If you plan to be in the vehicle for long trips, focus on maintenance, creature comforts, and roadside readiness, especially if you have passengers.  Perhaps consider making some sort of storage/cargo unit for the rear to help keep gear and tools organized and accessible; add a reliable air compressor (I love having an on-board system, personally); or purchase a 12v fridge/freezer for those extended road trips (may require some other things, like a backup battery or fridge slide, etc.). 

• Like 1

I’d have to agree that modding a vehicle is a slippery slope. I’ve found that when it comes to modding mine out, my best  ideas happen while I’m driving/working on the vehicle- music sounds crappy while I’m driving, so I upgrade the sound. Rocker panel got a dent, add rock sliders. Missed a turn on a dark trail at night, added 45* “ditch” lighting. Need trail communication, got a cb radio. So drive it around, use it for what you want to use it for, and upgrade accordingly. For me, buying stuff I don’t use or need (like my rotopax) is one of the more frustrating feelings

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 2

I would echo[mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] completely.

Good tires are #1 but decide if you’re going to lift first as you may want a bigger size.

Personally I think sliders are the most important body protection as damage in your rocker panel is tough & expensive to repair. The OEM low profile running boards are pretty hardy though and offer some protection. You’ll find all the young guys take them off, while we older/family guys keep them for roof access - I don’t know of anybody with body damage who had them on, but I can think of 3-4 current members with damage that occurs while having them off).

Finally, I agree that you will likely find auxiliary lighting to be a useful mod. Luckily, there are countless ways to do that & most are easy & inexpensive.

• Like 1