CARGO SETUPS

RainGoat

Has anyone popped those tabs that hold the carpet in back in the cargo area. I’m really itching to redo my cargo area & feel like my last several trips I’ve dirtied it up more than I ever have before. I’d like to pull the carpet & use our little carpet cleaner on it & take the opportunity to explore all my anchoring points. For instance, I have those LATCH anchors back there - they’ve got to be decently anchored. Maybe I’ll put some D-Rings back there. Also, has anyone read anywhere if there’s an actual load rating on the cargo tie downs.

Has anyone popped those tabs that hold the carpet in back in the cargo area. I’m really itching to redo my cargo area & feel like my last several trips I’ve dirtied it up more than I ever have before. I’d like to pull the carpet & use our little carpet cleaner on it & take the opportunity to explore all my anchoring points. For instance, I have those LATCH anchors back there - they’ve got to be decently anchored. Maybe I’ll put some D-Rings back there. Also, has anyone read anywhere if there’s an actual load rating on the cargo tie downs.

Curious which clips you are referring to. Are they closer to the seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, R50JR said:

Curious which clips you are referring to. Are they closer to the seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah i think he means the ones that go up and along the back seats because its one piece

• Like 1

If you're talking about the odd circular clips where the carpet folds over itself when the seat is up, I've popped at least one of them off before.  I recall it being a little bit of trouble getting it to snap back on...it's more like a snap than a push-clip.  I want to say I may have cracked it on accident and ended up gluing it back on...don't remember.

Owner's manual says to not secure more than 22 lbs per cargo hook...so 88 lbs if using the floor hooks, supposedly.  It includes the side and ceiling hooks, but I don't think I'd ever use those as cargo-tie downs; they just don't seem strong enough.

• Like 1

I've popped the ones on the back of my seats, to tighten the small clips that hold my seatbelts.They make tools for popping those,just a plastic fork in a kit, harbor freight has them for cheap. comes with molding tools also. I had extra clips I got from JY in case of breakage.

• Like 1

If you're talking about the odd circular clips where the carpet folds over itself when the seat is up, I've popped at least one of them off before.  I recall it being a little bit of trouble getting it to snap back on...it's more like a snap than a push-clip.  I want to say I may have cracked it on accident and ended up gluing it back on...don't remember.   Owner's manual says to not secure more than 22 lbs per cargo hook...so 88 lbs if using the floor hooks, supposedly.  It includes the side and ceiling hooks, but I don't think I'd ever use those as cargo-tie downs; they just don't seem strong enough. 

Yeah, I expect we all have overloaded them as that’s a ridiculously light load. I pulled all my upper plastic hooks & tapped 1/4-20 into the sheet metal underneath. I basically only use bungees there to keep the load organized. Even with drawers, a platform or your excellent cargo frame, I expect we could use better anchors.  

It’s also why I’m an advocate of cam straps over ratchet straps. Both straps should have a slight check/retightening after the first 10-15” or if they get wet but ratchet straps allow you to apply far too much force - we’re not flatbeds, nothing on our trucks is probably rated for it.

The barrier your internal cargo rack makes between the cargo area & your rear seats is probably the best safety measure one could have. I used to net the cargo area down on the tough roads if AZ, CO & UT but that wasn’t really weight bearing. (Of course I carried only lightweight backpacking type gear and didn’t have rear passengers back then)