Pathfinder and Xterra...

MTGunner

At this time I own a. 2000 Pathfinder and a 2000 Xterra. Have merely a bit of time with the Pathfinder but have owned the Xterra for 4 plus yrs. Both have even great off road but have had more experience with the Xterra. With hope the Pathfinder will be as good an off-road warrior as my Xterra. The Pathfinder  gets better mileage but the Xterra Is a beast off-road. Who else has an a Xterra? MTG

Edited by MTGunner

I would say the R50 (Pathfinder) will be better off-road stock - more flex in the rear end due to the 5 link setup.  Might be a wash depending on which has a LSD (check the diffs for the sticker) - also likely much more comfortable on the trip to and from as I would expect the VQ in a 2000 R50 vs the VG in the WD22 (Xterra). Even better if your R50 has the All Mode transfer case. 

That said the WD22 is a simpler body on frame platform, so much easier to lift compared to the rather difficult unibody R50 - so if your going to Mod it - the WD22 would likely win out in the end from sheer tire size and travel due to the lift. Lots more available parts due to the larger commonality with the W/D21 and W/D22. I had a modded to heck WD21 for a long time and it did excellent work offroad, but man - that platform is just...old. The R50 was designed ~1994 and the W/D21 was designed ~1982. WD22 is really just the same truck with new sheet metal and a cheaper rear suspension. The airbags are nice.

Edited by Inyourface1650
  • Like 1

I would take a VG33ER Xterra over a VQ R50 any day. You can make the suspension flex just as good with revolver shackles, and it is cheaper/simpler to lift. The VQ is a good engine but the VG is a workhorse. I'd probably still prefer an N/A VG over a VQ just from the simplicity/reliability standpoint. All the ones I've had to work on have been a pain, and the oil consumption is annoying.

At the end of the day all of these platforms are "old". Pick whatever one you like driving the best.

I own a 1995 pathfinder and a 2002 Xterra. I love them both, the X has tons of power with the supercharger and the torque comes in nice and early. It has the steep WD21 gearing so the power difference is really noticeable.

Edited by adamzan