Rear drum brakes grabbing

Mrelcocko

Hey guys need some help. I installed new drums,pads and hardware(springs etc) back 4 months ago. I'm having an issue with the passenger side drum grabbing. At first it wasn't so bad but now it seems to do it more often than not. If I turn right or make a real sharp turn to the right it does it real bad. I can fee and hear it grabbing. I took my brake tool and adjusted the brake on the pass side and it help for a min than right back to grabbing again. The drivers side no issues at all. Im posting some pics so you all can see if I installed anything wrong. Appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.7c70a73becbe99a491f6daf91e1f2bf1.jpg640233487ff095c5fd9d9c129abc1b1e.jpgb18596a4c57c74e556be8d73fc9c3f2c.jpgfa6a6eae04cb3d44052e531c2ac8da02.jpgd57f011fce28a3c975e6872101110120.jpg

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

From what I can see, it looks ok. The yellow spring is not in contact with the star wheel, is it? If it is, it needs to be bent out a bit so it won't cause movement of the star wheel. 

Have you looked at the other side? Possible a problem over there is causing more hydraulic pressure in the one that is grabbing. 

Sorry not much help, hard to tell without seeing things in person. 

• Like 1

From what I can see, it looks ok. The yellow spring is not in contact with the star wheel, is it? If it is, it needs to be bent out a bit so it won't cause movement of the star wheel. 
Have you looked at the other side? Possible a problem over there is causing more hydraulic pressure in the one that is grabbing. 
Its not in contact with the star wheel itself. But it is touching the adjuster on the right side towards the front on the vehicle. Thanks for taking a look. Appreciated

On the passenger side should the adjuster be a right-handed thread or left-handed thread?

The drum sticks when turning left while hitting brakes or without hitting brakes??
When turning left its all good. Its when i turn right after coming to a stop the grabbing occurs.

Hmmmmm.. I know it’s crazy, but you might want to retorque that wheel. I can’t think of a reason, besides axial slop, that would cause an issue turning in one direction and not the other.

If it’s not a problem with the wheel you might take a look see at the wheel bearing.

And before you do anything, jack that corner up and see if there’s any slop with that wheel. Maybe even give the tire a knee at the 12, 9, and 3 o’clock positions to see if you get any movement at the wheel.

Does this truck have VDC or the proportioning valve?  If there are two brake hoses coming down to the axle, it has VDC. 

Is the RH drum tough the remove?

RH brake gets RH-thread adjuster.

Does this truck have VDC or the proportioning valve?  If there are two brake hoses coming down to the axle, it has VDC. 

Its not hard to remove at all.

No is does not have VDC valve.

Odd. Is the parking brake cable for the right side damaged or misrouted somehow? I really can't visualize anything else that would cause the problem. I was also wondering if you had 4WABS and that there was a problem there, but you said it doesn't have that. 

• Like 1

The adjuster is operated by the parking brake lever, not by the reverse and brake process in most modern drums. Nissan is one of them that only the parking brake should turn the adjuster. In that pic, it looks like the shoes are pushed out. I wonder if the yellow spring is contacting the star wheel sometimes turning it out. 

Let me add this. I put a new set on today and finished an hour ago. The drums looked good. From what I can tell the eBrake was getting caught up in the bracket that holds it to the lower control arm right before it goes into the backing plate. It looks like someone clamped it a little to tight and the bracket was digging into the outer layer of the eBrake finally eating its way through and catching. Fixed bracket and put everything back together and all is good now.

Yeah, glad you got it sorted.  I came on tonight specifically to chime in here, but now I'm worthless.

I do have a question, though...why does it look like your entire axle is rotated 10° counter clockwise?  I don't recall things being nearly as tilted as they appear on your truck...in fact, I thought everything was pretty level (especially since the wheel cylinder bleeder valves need to be at the top; your setup looks like it could trap a little air).  I don't have drum brakes for reference.  Maybe your springs are just worn? 

• Like 1

Yeah, glad you got it sorted.  I came on tonight specifically to chime in here, but now I'm worthless.

I do have a question, though...why does it look like your entire axle is rotated 10° counter clockwise?  I don't recall things being nearly as tilted as they appear on your truck...in fact, I thought everything was pretty level (especially since the wheel cylinder bleeder valves need to be at the top; your setup looks like it could trap a little air).  I don't have drum brakes for reference.  Maybe your springs are just worn? 
I dont know. Never really noticed the tilt of the rearend. The springs are factory though and being 23 years old probably worn out. I never bottom out, im sure I could but I baby this thing. Can anyone else give us input on this? Im curious now. The drivers side drum never dragged. Always passenger side even after replacing the drums and pads, hardware etc....

Honestly can't say. Never paid much attention to to the cant of the drum brakes on any Pathfinder. My 93 has rear disc for the service brakes like Pathfinders should have. 

The drag didn't seem to be a problem with the brakes and hardware themselves, but with the parking brake cable from what you were saying. 

• Like 1

Yep, the off road SE came with 31s, a very good limited slip rear, swing away tire carrier, and 4 wheel disc brakes in the WD21. When they replaced the WD21 with the R50 in 1996, they deleted the rear disc for some unknown reason. Just like the first gen Xterra only had drums out back.