EXHAUST RECOMMENDATIONS

SwadeC

Looking to upgrade exhaust from stock on my 01 R50, and can't seem to find any cat-back systems available other than stock replacements. Any recommendations?

• Like 1

Not sure what to recommend as far as a cat back, but I had a FloPro glass pack on my VQ with the resonators behind the cats removed and imo it sounded great. Are your pipes salvageable, ie you just want better sound, or is it damaged/rusted out and you figure as long as you're replacing you may as well upgrade?

Hit the nail on the head. Rust is compromising the pipes. It broke off before the back resonator. So if I'm fixing it, might as well do something better than stock.

I believe Walker makes stock replacement exhausts pretty cheap, may be a decent option to get one of those and have a glass pack welded in place of the muffler. Should be fairly cheap. Probably some kind of regular steel that will rust again though.

You can do what I did with my 93 Pathfinder and the 85 300ZX I used to have. I found a local exhaust shop that was not a chain shop. Talked with the guy there and told him what I was after. With the Pathfinder, went with a 2.25" pipe from the Y back with new cat and turbo muffler. They custom bent the pipe and added heavy duty hangers with the tailpipe exiting straight out the back next to the side bracket of the trailer hitch. Still have no idea how my daughter managed to break it, but she does seem to have my abilities to break stuff. 

The Z got custom bent 2.5" cat back pipe with a magnaflow.  Both exhaust systems cost less than stock parts, met my needs and sounded great, low rumble but didn't drone on the highway and was still able to talk at normal volumes with passengers. Also kept my torque curve wide and flat where I like it. 

• Like 1