Where to Get A Brake Booster?

ryjaytay38

Hey Guys,

I had the brake booster take a dive on my 01 Pathfinder. I have looked everywhere! All the local auto parts stores, online, salvage yards. Parts Authority, which usually has parts, said they have two Centric boosters on order but it's a factory back order. Everywhere online says "won't fit your vehicle" or "out of stock". The few that had them online were well over $200 with core charge getting closer to 3. I call a salvage yard and they tell me two Pathfinders came in, one yesterday, one today. I drive down there with little to no brakes VERY carefully and the only parts stripped off of both are the damn boosters! Am I missing something or is there a huge run on early 2000's brake boosters for this one particular year and model? 

When I'm looking for a booster, can I go with a different model number if the specs are right on? For instance, my model number is 53-6404. There was also a 53-6405 with similar specs. Can I use that, especially when it's cost is about half, or do I need to stick to the one meant for the Pathfinder? Also, does anyone know of any other sites that may have some good deals with good quality? I've checked Amazon, JCWhitney, Autoparts Warehouse, Carid, Carparts.com, RockAuto, and US Autoparts. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. I'm stuck with one vehicle until I finish the motor on my Isuzu Trooper. I really hate having to drive with a hand on the e brake and keeping 100 ft between myself and the car in front of me. 

Thanks in advance!!!

im not an expert at this but if the specs are the same and mounting is the same then i dont see what the issue would be. All of the yards near me with pathfinders all have either dash, cats, lights, doors, powered door locks or intakes ripped off of them but never really anything with brakes. I would say personally that if i were looking i would just find as close to or better then the oem that matches mounting and specs as the old one.

The part number you put up appears to be for a Mitsubishi, so I wouldn't count on that working. I had a look at Rockauto and the booster they show for '01 is out of stock, but they have different ones for '96 and '04 (the only other years I checked, there may be other options yet). Both cheaper than what you were looking at, and much more likely to bolt up.

When I thought the booster on my '93 was malfunctioning, I got a replacement from a Hardbody pickup at the wreckers. The number on the sticker was a little different, but it bolted right up and works fine.

A Mitsubishi?! Really? Oh man, that's embarrassing. I went on a site this morning called Hollanderparts.com. They have every car at wrecking yards all over the country and Canada. Got the booster(not with the part number) and master cylinder shipped to me from Iowa for $90. They seemed to be on their game so I'm looking forward to driving semi-safe again.

• Like 1