Jump to content

Steering Wheel Controls?


Strato_54
 Share

Recommended Posts

The other day I installed a new head unit after years of it being missing (stolen) and it has the steering control wire. My little brother then pointed out on the side of the steering wheel there’s a little cover where the button piece could go. Did pathfinders come with these little radio controls on the steering wheels or can I buy an aftermarket thing for them? It’s a 97 SE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mjotrainbrain said:

The buttons did come with some stock, yes. Not sure if the appropriate wiring would be in there or not to add the buttons to yours.

but it is possible to get something that fits there meant for this year of pathfinder?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Strato_54 said:

but it is possible to get something that fits there meant for this year of pathfinder?

 

If he was referring to the button panel on the bottom right hand side of the steering wheel (not on the wheel itself) that’s just for cruise control. That’s how it is in both my 96 and my 97. Neither one has buttons on the steering wheel besides the cruise control ones. I’m sure it’d be possible to tap into that somehow and make the buttons function for the radio instead but it would probably not be worth it and then you wouldn’t have your cruise control switches. 

 

What you could possibly do though is see if a newer pathfinder or a qx4 has a steering wheel with audio controls built into it and pull the whole wheel off a junkyard vehicle and swap it out with yours and then tie that wire from the radio into that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, micahfelker said:

 

If he was referring to the button panel on the bottom right hand side of the steering wheel (not on the wheel itself) that’s just for cruise control. That’s how it is in both my 96 and my 97. Neither one has buttons on the steering wheel besides the cruise control ones. I’m sure it’d be possible to tap into that somehow and make the buttons function for the radio instead but it would probably not be worth it and then you wouldn’t have your cruise control switches. 

 

What you could possibly do though is see if a newer pathfinder or a qx4 has a steering wheel with audio controls built into it and pull the whole wheel off a junkyard vehicle and swap it out with yours and then tie that wire from the radio into that. 

i was thinking that too if it was even possibly. and yeah those bottom plates where the cruise control is. theres another what looks like removable plate on the other side so if i could find something for there that would be cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably your best bet.

 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-I0Gjw6kFQLp/p_120RFASWC/Axxess-RFASWC-Universal-Steering-Wheel-Controls-Package.html

 

The zenkis never had the option for steering wheel controls. Those little covers you are steering wheel are access points for removing the air bag. 

 

-Kyle

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ferrariowner123 said:

Probably your best bet.

 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-I0Gjw6kFQLp/p_120RFASWC/Axxess-RFASWC-Universal-Steering-Wheel-Controls-Package.html

 

The zenkis never had the option for steering wheel controls. Those little covers you are steering wheel are access points for removing the air bag. 

 

-Kyle

I was going to comment that the vehicle's clock spring may also not have corresponding wires.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked to do the opposite on my truck a few years ago...when I installed an aftermarket unit, I had no plans of retaining the steering controls.  The switch seemed spotty anyway.  So I bought an OE cover thinking I could just remove the controls and cover it, but when I did, a mounting tab or bracket interfered.  Looking into the opening, I couldn't see any screws/bolts that suggested the bracket was easily removable, let alone whether it was a removable bracket at all.  I didn't feel like dismantling the steering wheel housing to figure it out, so I just left it all intact.

 

 

If your MY didn't have controls as an option in the first place, I'd say it seems like a lot of work and money for little gain.  I like having the audio controls (only on the LH side of the wheel...why do car manufacturers put them on the RH side, 8" from the radio?), but reaching for the radio isn't the end of the world.  Back in the day, I just always used a hand-held remote for the headunit; I still have head units with remotes, but I never use them any more.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just a couple points to consider. @ferrariowner installed my steering wheel controls with minimal difficulty using a ~$45 interface(Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface). I almost never used my steering wheel controls with the OEM radio. My “new” Pioneer AVH-X391BHS has the controls down the left/driver side, which is invaluable, nevertheless, these new radios have wimpy/mushy buttons & touchscreen “soft” buttons - all very difficult to use while driving. I found I immediately started using my steering controls all the time. We almost didn’t install mine & that would have been a total mistake.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...