Prospective 1992 pathfinder owner

swampthang

Hello everyone,

In the hunt for a vehicle. Looking at a 1992 Pathfinder 4wd manual trans 6 cyl on craigslist, https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/colorado-springs-1992-nissan-pathfinder/6958700279.html

Going to call the owner after 5pm today. From what I've read on here, three major issues to look for are, (1) rust in the rear frame areas, (2) timing belt replacement and (3) the exhaust manifold stud problem.

In addition to those problems the craigslist post has also shared that the truck has these issues...

"Some minor issues: AC does not blow cold air
No power locks
Fuel Gage and Tachometer currently do not work, but could be an easy fix
Back hatch does not stay open, but I've always been able to prop it with no problems
Will need new tires soon
Minor oil leak as to be expected with vehicle's age"

I'm not very concerned with the A/C not working. And would consider removing the a/c system entirely if I buy the truck.

No power locks is a very vague statement to me and will hopefully be clarified when I call up the owner later today.

Fuel gauge and tacho not working, a bit more concerning....

Back hatch, no concen at all...

Will need new tires soon, concerns my wallet...

"Minor oil leak as to be expected with vehicle's age", to me this says, I see oil drops on the ground under my truck but have not looked into the problem at all... we'll see what the owner says. I did have a '90 yota pickup with a "minor oil leak" at the rear main seal that didn't bother me to leave alone xD

The vehicle is around 5hr and 30mins from where I live. So, if I go check it out, I want to be aware of major issues to look for, found this thread to be very helpful so far,

The seller is asking $2500 obo, seems a bit steep to me for 170k miles with known fuel gauge and tacho issue.

What would you all say is a fair price by the looks of the posting? If I am still seriously interested after talking with the owner, I was thinking of starting negotiations at around $1300 in the hopes of snagging it for under $2k if the vehicle and I vibe well together ;)

Are there any major issues with the 1992 pathfinder that I've overlooked?

Any advice on checking out the truck if I am still considering this vehicle after talking with the owner?

I am excited to potentially own another nissan. Back home I have a '85 nissan/datsun 720 2wd pickup with the 2.4L z24 naps-z engine and manual trans, in good running condition that I've been enjoying wrenching on in my down time for a couple of years.

Anyway, after cruising through here for a little while this forum looks to be a great place for any pathfinder owner, and maybe there will be new posts about a new 1992 pathfinder owner soon....

Thanks for your time.

Edited by swampthang

The Power windows is most likely the drivers' side master switch, I replaced mine a few years ago and then just made myself a dual pole, dual throw switch wired directly to the main power.  A DPDT switch is about $5 and is wired in a sort of cross with the wire of one lower pole arcing over to the upper part on the opposite side with power and ground going to the center poles. The tacho and fuel gauge is a broken ground somewhere on or next to the fuel pump (most of the time?) or near the front of the tank where the wires come out and head forward.  Back hatch is nothing other than the lift struts which you can pull off with a flatblade screwdriver and a 10mm socket( if memory serves correctly).

$2500 sounds steep but IF everything worked and it looked clean I might be interested at that price. In its current state I would say closer to $1700 but that's just my two cents worth!!

All the pathfinders have to have a timing belt replacement so thats not really much in an issue, unless they vehicle hasnt had a change in a long time then it is. Other then that its just basic maintenance every few years

That looks pretty clean. And a fair asking price for a car that is getting hard to find it decent shape. The fuel gauge issue is likely the voltage regulator on the back. There is a how to for fixing it on here. Just a small solder job. Common oil leaks are the valve covers and rear main seal. 

Edited by adamzan

Thanks for all your 2 cents worth amigos.

Talked with the owner and looking further into making a deal.

Excited to test drive it asap!

Edited by swampthang

• 2 weeks later...

Heck yeah, Colorado Springs! I purchased my TT and my Shadow from Colorado Springs, so I love car shopping in that area. Ha!

I think your questions have been pretty much answered, but thought I would chime in:

- The timing belt really is not too difficult to replace. I have replaced three belts on '94s, and can usually finish them in about half of a day. Just make sure that you follow all of the directions/markings and take your time! It also really helped to have Mitchel DIY (eautorepair.net), so you may want to consider a subscription. 

- The rear hatch not staying open is pretty common. You will just need to replace the two pistons. Again, that is a pretty novice-level endeavor. 

- Both of my pathfinders leaked a bit of oil. When we looked into the problem, on both, it seems to be a problem with the rear oil seals. I ran my first one for 7 years with no problems - you just have to be a bit more diligent about checking oil. 

- I second the master switch issue. You can check the fuses to ensure that it's not just a super simple fix, but I'm guessing it's the master. Mine went out, and it made the windows/lock inop. 

- The tach and fuel gauges are a bit more concerning. I haven't really had much experience with that electrical circuit. That said, this is where that Mitchel DIY would really come in handy, as they have the wiring diagrams. If you can, try to isolate those circuits and look for any similarities (for example, if they both have power coming from the same fuse, common connectors, i.e.). Or, as SpecialWarr said, just check the grounds.

- Rust is also a common thing with these. Both of my pathfinders have had rust. In fact, I am going to do some undercarriage coatings on the new one to make sure I get that stopped quickly. Depending on how bad the rust is, you may want to consider taking some proactive steps to stop any advancement of rust. 

- AC may just need a recharge? That could be a number of things, so depending on if you want to fix it, it may take a bit more investigation. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just bought this truck! Timing belt was done recently, this thing seems to have some electrical gremlins. Meter fuse was popped, causing the non-op dash stuff, replaced that and it popped again 10 minutes later. My guess is the regulator is fine and there's a short somewhere... will leave it that way until I can go through the wiring harness. I'm an Electrical Engineer but not an electrician, so I might be SOL. At least it runs and drives great, lol. Reverse lights don't work either. FUNTIMES.

Got it for $1700 as well, should have started lower as she accepted that price immediately. Oops.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a 1992 service manual? Found a free one online for a 1994, and a few weird websites that want me to pay to access (trust level: 0), but figured there would be a PDF floating around somewhere.

Edited by mike1305
added more detail

:welcome:

I downloaded a '90 service manual from cardiagn but I haven't found one between '90 and '94 yet, at least in free PDF form. The '90 should be closer to what you need than the '94.

Sounds like you're better equipped to track down its electrical faults than most people! I'd have to check the diagrams again to see what runs off the meter fuse, but if the stereo's been messed with, check the wiring for that first. People do bizarre and terrible things with stereo wiring. For the reverse lights, I'd check the bulbs first (to rule out the simple/stupid thing), then if you've got no power to the bulbs, check the switch on the transmission.

Also look into the TSB for overfilling the manual transmission to keep the countershaft bearings happy.