Odd starting occurrence..

MTGunner

I was parked at the market with my ‘00 Pathfinder turn off. Was going into the store and decided to manually rear lock lift gate. Upon returning I unlocked driver side door of my Pathfinder and tried to start the engine. NOTHING! But, everything else worked. Gave this some thought and manually unlocked the rear lift gate. My Pathfinder fired right up. ????

My 2000 SE has an alarm system that I disabled. Could be the culprit. Has not happened since. At this point I am not completely trusting to go off reading in the mountains due to misgivings about this issue. What think you all? MTG

• Like 1

I removed the relay that sounds the horn in the alarm system.  Also, disabled the LED on the dash by removing one wire. 

I have attempted to simulate the non start sequence once again having only to have this occur but one more time. It starts each time now as I do not lock the rear lift gate by key manually. It is a strange anomaly. But, this does make me somewhat distrusting as I do considerable mountain off-roading. I think I will have to research the alarm system schematic. MTG

Replaced two security system relays and hooked up LED security light on lower dash. If the non start occurs again will first replace park/neutral position relay with spare relay. If this does not solve issue will pull starter and have it checked at NAPA. Beyond this I would think ignition switch. The ground cable to block is good and makes a solid connection. The battery terminals are clean  and have no oxide  compound on them. Keeping my fingers crossed this will not happen again. Will keep all informed. MTG

Edited by MTGunner