Timing Belt wandering

Darrow12

I am replacing my timing belt on my '95 xe manual 4x4 Pathfinder and I followed the Chilton repair manual steps to the letter.  I got the timing belt on and tensioned properly, I rotated the engine as I am supposed to and when I got back to TDC, my belt had moved 1 tooth forward of all three sprocket marks.  I rotated the engine again and once back at TDC now my belt was 2 teeth forward of the sprocket marks.  I cannot find an answer on the internet anywhere and I was hoping y'all could help, because I am out of ideas.

• Like 1

The lines are just a shortcut and a visual aid for getting the timing correct when you're first assembling it. If you've got 40 teeth between the dimples on the cam sprockets, and 43 teeth from the driver's cam sprocket to the crank sprocket, then it's timed properly.

• Like 1

And for the UUUUUber techie among us:

The apparent advancement of the belt indicated by the marks on it in relation to the marks on the gears is a function of the number of total teeth in the assembly and the length of the belt. An even number of total teeth will "advance" the belt 2 teeth per complete rotation and an odd number of total teeth will "advance" the belt 1 tooth per rev. Don't know why... they just do! A fun way of seeing that in person is to play with the Lucas Oils gear display at the local auto parts store if they still have one.